White Trash

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

White Trash

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm

I've been complaining about the term "white trash" since I was a kid, patiently explaining to people just how racist a term it really is. This article does it more eloquently.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: White Trash

Postby Rommie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm

I confess I've never thought about this much because I never use it, and would seriously look down on anyone calling someone trash, period. But then, I grew up in the suburbs and now live in a city, and suspect this term gets thrown around a lot more in more rural areas (purely anecdotal on my part).

Thinking about it, I guess it's also a bit the equivalent of how in Hungarian you still would call someone a peasant or "village-like" if they're rural/uncultured etc. But in the USA, you wouldn't exactly call someone a peasant, so another term evolved for the same thing.

That said, I should emphasize it's a bit BS when some put all the blame of Trump on the rural, uneducated segment of the population. Plenty of white, college-educated, urban-dwelling people voted for Trump too, and he wouldn't have won without them.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: White Trash

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm

I grew up with the term "trailer trash" more than "white trash". I have lived in more than one trailer park. The last one was an upscale establishment and called itself a "modular home community". ;)

The usual stereotypes were to be found in the "trailer trash" euphemism. I still like to brag that I was the king of the trailer park because my modular home was the biggest one in the park. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics