Buckle Up Buttercup

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Re: Buckle Up Buttercup

Postby squ1d » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I think it was you that has consistently said you're not too worried if people are scumbags as long as they make good decisions in the jobs they are entrusted with. When it comes to politicians/statesmen/etc. Obviously I'm exaggerating and paraphrasing here. Did I get that right?

It's certainly a pragmatic view.

My main takeaway as a distant observer was that the process seemed farcical, and can understand why it made many people emotional.

As I was saying to Rommie earlier, I for one welcome my new Chinese overlords here in Australia. They at least pretend outwardly to be mentally stable.
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:01 pm

squ1d wrote:I think it was you that has consistently said you're not too worried if people are scumbags as long as they make good decisions in the jobs they are entrusted with. When it comes to politicians/statesmen/etc. Obviously I'm exaggerating and paraphrasing here. Did I get that right?

My main takeaway as a distant observer was that the process seemed farcical, and can understand why it made many people emotional.

As I was saying to Rommie earlier, I for one welcome my new Chinese overlords here in Australia. They at least pretend outwardly to be mentally stable.

I'm tending to lean more in geonuc's direction as time goes on and as I read more about past leaders. So far, from what I can tell, the thing that sets Trump apart is he has no filters so lets his asshole side show right out in the open. But is he all that unusual other than that? A lack of experience certainly, but time will tell. I know we haven't had the predicted apocalypse or world war in the first almost two years. Knock on wood.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

squ1d wrote:I think it was you that has consistently said you're not too worried if people are scumbags as long as they make good decisions in the jobs they are entrusted with. When it comes to politicians/statesmen/etc. Obviously I'm exaggerating and paraphrasing here. Did I get that right?

Yes, you have my general stance correct. I generally don't care how many interns the president bangs in the White House as long as his policies and decisions are good for the country.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I'm tending to lean more in geonuc's direction as time goes on and as I read more about past leaders. So far, from what I can tell, the thing that sets Trump apart is he has no filters so lets his asshole side show right out in the open. But is he all that unusual other than that? A lack of experience certainly, but time will tell. I know we haven't had the predicted apocalypse or world war in the first almost two years. Knock on wood.

Yes, he's different. Even compared to George W Bush, who is no intellectual, Trump is a fucking moron, and that's something I cannot abide in a leader.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby squ1d » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:24 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I'm tending to lean more in geonuc's direction as time goes on and as I read more about past leaders. So far, from what I can tell, the thing that sets Trump apart is he has no filters so lets his asshole side show right out in the open. But is he all that unusual other than that? A lack of experience certainly, but time will tell. I know we haven't had the predicted apocalypse or world war in the first almost two years. Knock on wood.

Just off the top of my head.

- Isolationism
- Recklessness
- Outward praise of despots

These things are all real and have consequences. These things take time to be realized however. What do you think is going to happen to poor people as the effects of everything from China being more expensive take hold?
squ1d

Postby code monkey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

geonuc wrote:Yes, he's different. Even compared to George W Bush, who is no intellectual, Trump is a fucking moron, and that's something I cannot abide in a leader.

a moron who believes that he's smart. very smart. the smartest person around. as evidence I offer paraphrases: i'm my best advisor as I have a very good brain. I know more than the generals.

I learned about the election result from a colleague in Belgium with whom I was working on a project. his message - we're very frightened in Europe. I checked the result - martijn had never struck me as a practical joker but I just didn't believe it - and invited him to try it from here.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm

squ1d wrote:

Just off the top of my head.

- Isolationism
- Recklessness
- Outward praise of despots

These things are all real and have consequences. These things take time to be realized however. What do you think is going to happen to poor people as the effects of everything from China being more expensive take hold?

I thought you, of all people on this forum, would recognize the world's biggest troll. ;)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm

geonuc wrote:

Yes, he's different. Even compared to George W Bush, who is no intellectual, Trump is a fucking moron, and that's something I cannot abide in a leader.

I'm not sure you're correct about George W. Bush. Something has happened to him. I've looked at speeches he gave back when he was governor of Texas, and it was like he was a totally different person. I don't know if it was stress, alcohol, or something undiagnosed, but something has changed. But yes, the President version of him was definitely no intellectual.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
I thought you, of all people on this forum, would recognize the world's biggest troll. ;)

I don't understand this vague comment. It could mean literally anything, and for me to respond properly, it clearly needs to be expanded upon.

Or I could just reply with something sarcastic and glib. I seem to remember people not reacting well to that recently.
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:42 pm

squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I don't understand this vague comment. It could mean literally anything, and for me to respond properly, it clearly needs to be expanded upon.

Or I could just reply with something sarcastic and glib. I seem to remember people not reacting well to that recently.

I picked this theory up from YouTube. There is a whole movement that thinks Trump is trolling us all with his tweets and comments about Fake News. I think it makes sense. Fuck Occam's Razor. ;)
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I picked this theory up from YouTube. There is a whole movement that thinks Trump is trolling us all with his tweets and comments about Fake News. I think it makes sense. Fuck Occam's Razor. ;)

I still have no idea what you're trying to say.

If Trump is "Trolling" the world by creating concrete tarrifs and a trade war with China, then I'm yet to see how it has absolutely anything to do with anything.
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 pm

squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:
squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

If Trump is "Trolling" the world by creating concrete tarrifs and a trade war with China, then I'm yet to see how it has absolutely anything to do with anything.

There are some articles out there that claim that Trump's actual policy moves are not that far from "normal" conservative policy. With a couple of exceptions. But, even on the taffifs and the trade war actions some conservatives actually see those as viable policy moves. So.... long story short all the crazy shit that he posts on twitter and etc is just a massive con job. i.e. Trump is really not that deranged it's part of his master con job to keep the liberuls all worked up so they won't have time to actually oppose his real policies.

I think that is what SFC is referring to. That is not my favorite theory. I think he really is that deranged. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:16 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:
squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

There are some articles out there that claim that Trump's actual policy moves are not that far from "normal" conservative policy. With a couple of exceptions. But, even on the taffifs and the trade war actions some conservatives actually see those as viable policy moves. So.... long story short all the crazy shit that he posts on twitter and etc is just a massive con job. i.e. Trump is really not that deranged it's part of his master con job to keep the liberuls all worked up so they won't have time to actually oppose his real policies.

I think that is what SFC is referring to. That is not my favorite theory. I think he really is that deranged. :P

Fisher has it right. You may not like the trade war, but it's not insane. It's just conservative. Lots of people love it. We can discuss the pros and cons of it if you like, or we can just keep calling Trump a moron as though no one ever thought of doing something like this before.

I, personally, think it's high time we quit letting China screw us over. Is this the best way to do it? I am not educated in economics enough to know the answer to that. But I would be interested in hearing alternatives.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

"China are screwing us over".

Please explain this.

Do you mean the developing world is out-competing the developed world in manufacturing? Or something else?

What is the long-term game plan for protecting U.S. industries from reality?
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm

squ1d wrote:"China are screwing us over".

Please explain this.

Do you mean the developing world is out-competing the developed world in manufacturing? Or something else?

What is the long-term game plan for protecting U.S. industries from reality?

If stealing other people's work and manufacturing it at a lower cost qualifies as "out-competing" then go China!

Also, not a fan of communism. I personally don't think chaining children to work stations in order to keep costs down is a fantastic idea. Your mileage will vary.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Previous

Return to Poli-Tics