A whole new kind of insider trading

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

A whole new kind of insider trading

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:45 am

https://www.propublica.org/article/sena ... eparedness

Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions.

The vileness of these people just completely blows my mind.
lady_*nix

Re: A whole new kind of insider trading

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 am

You know what's even worse. Congress is exempt from insider trading rules.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:59 am

According to this article that wasn't the case as of 2013, though they were certainly working in that direction:

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpoli ... rading-law

IDK about changes since then though.
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:18 am

Oh hey here's another one: https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly ... g?ref=wrap

Loeffler’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the transactions and whether they were prompted or informed by information shared at that late January briefing. It’s illegal for members of Congress to trade on non-public information gleaned through their official duties.

That "non-public" might be a sticking point, but still.
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Apparently four Republicans and one Democrat did a lot of selling that day. Get rid of all of them, I say.

I noticed btw that Kelly Loeffler from Georgia posted a Tweet saying she was innocent and she has a financial broker do all her stocks. I'm sure that she has one, but hopefully the SEC has enough people around to see if she called or emailed the person who sold the stocks. I'm sure the authorities are also having their hands a bit full right now.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I am cynical enough to think that the DOJ rarely or never prosecutes Congress members for insider trading.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Oh sure, but that's not the same as "They're legally exempt." Having the law against it actually exist doesn't guarantee justice, but I think history shows it can be a convenient excuse for justice sometimes. :)
lady_*nix

Return to Poli-Tics