Racial bias in pulse oximeter calibration

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Racial bias in pulse oximeter calibration

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 pm

Well. This is fucking grim.

https://bostonreview.net/science-nature ... acial-bias

TL;DR pulse oximeters are mostly calibrated for and tested on people with light skin, so very dark skin can cause them to have falsely high readings of up to 8% - enough to impact triage a whole lot, even before considering medical workers' own racial biases.
lady_*nix

Re: Racial bias in pulse oximeter calibration

Postby Ikyoto » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:59 pm

sad, but hopefully this will be good intel for recalibration going forward
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Postby lady_*nix » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Yeah, no kidding. :|

One of my medically inclined friends says the article isn't quite accurate, because a lot of nurses know to manually compensate for the inaccuracy (and will treat sustained readings below 90 the same regardless, i.e. as a dire emergency). But it sounds like there's still a huge possibility for bias. And also honestly (from experience) I wouldn't trust most docs to correct the measurements manually as nurses tend to do.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:01 am

lady_*nix wrote:Yeah, no kidding. :|

One of my medically inclined friends says the article isn't quite accurate, because a lot of nurses know to manually compensate for the inaccuracy (and will treat sustained readings below 90 the same regardless, i.e. as a dire emergency). But it sounds like there's still a huge possibility for bias. And also honestly (from experience) I wouldn't trust most docs to correct the measurements manually as nurses tend to do.

the docs rarely look at the devices. The nurses do. So, when the doc asks for a pulse ox reading he will get it from the nurse who will do the correction. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics