Election 2020

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Re: Election 2020

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm

I thought it was interesting how many people's reaction was "he should have let it run longer just so we could tell what would have really happened." As if it wasn't obvious, and if there aren't serious ethical (and I imagine legal) concerns letting a situation like that go forward. But yeah if anyone's surprised about Giuliani being highly susceptible to Russian interference after seeing that, they're just an idiot. And I disagree with those insisting his career is done- like the rest of them, I think these politics are at the point where it all just hinges on who wins the election, because they're obviously all done if Trump doesn't win, but would probably live to see another day if he does.

Incidentally, we enjoyed the movie. First half hour was definitely the most solid, then around coronavirus I imagine their plans went a bit out of the window so they had to figure out how to lead up to the infamous Giuliani scene once they had that footage. But hey in 2020 I won't complain at something new. :)

Also, saw an interesting thing that Biden is going to Georgia this week. Which would be criminal if you didn't have really solid polling about the swing states...
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby code monkey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:37 pm

lady_*nix wrote:Hahahaha NOPE

I have a lot of thoughts on that footage, but the main ones are things about Giuliani I can't put in print on a public forum.

oh go ahead! be daring.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Damn, this thing just has to be over already. I am way too distracted.

Of course, my supervisor said he expected this was the last week people would be productive as we'd all be paying attention to the election instead (and subsequent states as they play out). And I'm like dude, I hate to break it to you, but...
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:25 pm

So yeah we now have fascist militias, composed of veterans and former LEOs, saying they'll turn up at the polls with weapons to intimidate Dem voters.

https://www.mediamatters.org/infowars/m ... ready-kill

IDK how the fuck we're going to survive this honestly. Again, what do the laws matter if nobody is both willing and able to enforce them?
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... en-victory

Erik Loomis, a labor historian at the University of Rhode Island and author of A History of America in Ten Strikes, said: “So much of the conversation on the left about general strikes in this country is kind of a romanticized, people are going to rise up.” But Loomis added: “If there is ever any general strike in this country, it’s probably going to come out of the established labor movement. The only group capable of running the thing is the established labor movement.” If there is a general strike, union leaders say, they hope college students, Blacks Lives Matter activists, women’s and environmental groups and many others will join in.

(emphasis mine)

It would be nice if more leftists would acknowledged this! In any case though, it gives me some hope to see established unions putting a general strike on the table.

Edit: I'm still basically expecting Trump to win though. Or for the election to be so mismanaged and fucked up that nobody has any idea what the "real" results look like, with SCOTUS declaring Trump the winner a la the 2000 election. SCOTUS is now incredibly partisan as well as conservative, and I think they could be depended upon to do that; possibly even to declare Trump the winner if asked to in the event of a Biden victory.
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 pm

lady_*nix wrote:So yeah we now have fascist militias, composed of veterans and former LEOs, saying they'll turn up at the polls with weapons to intimidate Dem voters.

https://www.mediamatters.org/infowars/m ... ready-kill

IDK how the fuck we're going to survive this honestly. Again, what do the laws matter if nobody is both willing and able to enforce them?

I'd just like to point out that freaking out and feeling intimidated by this stuff is exactly what they want you to do when they say these sorts of things, because they know if people turn out and vote they will lose. So while I am concerned about next week, I just refuse to really read this shit or get worked up about it right now- one day at a time.

Re: general strikes, look up what's happening right now at Haverford College (where my sister is an alum). The college president has been tone deaf (at the very least) and the students are organizing a general strike until their grievances are addressed. The entertaining bit to me is they actually require freshmen to take a social justice class at Haverford (as it was founded by Quakers), so seem surprised when the students actually learn something and want to apply it!

It's a really small college, but I wish them well.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Not freaking out is hard when you're looking this level of impending doom in the face TBH. I already voted, and have been asking friends to vote like everyone's lives depend on it, but like... there's a very real possibility that it will not be possible to "vote him out", and that the US will slide the rest of the way into dictatorship. And people need to be prepared for that.

Re: Haverford, I wish them well too.
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:25 pm

My husband just asked me if I'm sure we have trash pickup tomorrow, because isn't Election Day a holiday? Sigh...

Ballot was received and submitted for counting via the good old US postal system (mailed it last week).

Honestly, it's the waiting that sucks right now the most. Who knows what's coming next, but I'm kinda done waiting for it.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:31 pm

On a very good news front, the early voting numbers are astronomically higher than they were in 2016. I believe as of Friday or Saturday they were saying over 93 million people had already voted. On a good, possibly very good, note the percentage of so-called undecided voters is significantly lower than it was in 2016. And a lot of the support for third party candidates is very low. A significant percentage of the third-party voters in 2016 were considered to be voters who would have voted for the D team if they had not voted for the third party candidates. Third-party candidates in 2020 are not feeling the love. Early voters tend to skew towards the D team.

Another factor is the polling results. Apparently, being able to randomly survey a large enough number of people is a losing battle these days. So, they use forecasting models. The models in 2016 failed to account for some of the variables such as college-educated morons willing to vote for Trump. Supposedly, the forecasters are saying they have improved the models this time so it is less likely that Trump will magically pull off a surprise win.

Of course, after my total failure in predicting the winner of the 2016 election, I am not planning to make any broad claims until at least November 5th. roll: roll: roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:21 am

Meanwhile the violence is already building. I'm sure y'all have already seen the thing about Trump supporters trying to run a bus full of Biden voters off the road (and getting lauded for it by Trump!), and also in North Caroline police pepper-sprayed people who were marching to the polls:

https://www.theroot.com/police-pepper-s ... 1845543542

This is a hugely understated problem IMO - police as a whole adore Trump, and they're unafraid to be bigoted, or to be partisan. I'm worried about voter intimidation from police tomorrow as much as from militia goons.
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Yeah I'm happy I don't live in, say, Portland Oregon right now. But I hope we do get good results from the early states tonight so the win is decisive enough that it's clear the majority of people do not support those fascists. It can make a world of difference.

Also, may I say that while I was skeptical of and hard on Biden earlier in this process, I was in fact happy to vote for him (even though obviously I would have voted for a rock if it had the D next to it this time around). Mainly because I did spend a good amount of time listening to him these past few months, and the world has changed so much since the beginning of the year in ways we couldn't anticipate, but I do think his genuine kindness and understanding of loss is just the sort of candidate needed right now. I mean, I don't know if it's also just the complete lack of that from the other side talking, but I think it makes sense that some qualities can matter more as something like a pandemic progresses.

Also, TBH I think this would be a tough reelection even if Hillary had won four years ago. If you scale up the Canadian death rate to that in the USA (realistically, unfortunately, probably the best we would have done, as anti-maskers etc still would have been around) that still would have meant ~100k dead and a bad economy. Of course we never will know, but something on my mind a lot today- I guess we'll see if reality still matters.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Yeah, and I think assuming Canada's death rate for the US if Clinton were in office is optimistic - the US has swung in the direction of amoral capitalism for a long time, in practice mainstream Democrats are still putting The Economy and Normalcy and Work Ethic over people's lives. The French govt is literally paying the salaries for people whose jobs are on hold due to COVID, and they still are having trouble controlling this pandemic; the US's response has been uniquely bad under Trump (and he and his cronies need to pay for that), but we were already in a bad place as far as pandemic readiness.

Getting Trump out of office is the first step, but one of the next ones has to be a referendum on the unfettered capitalist bullshit that got us here. Otherwise we're just going to get 4 years of stagnation and fear, and then someone as bad as Trump (or worse).
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Gods, I really hope the Dems keep the House and take the Senate. And if they do, they'd better develop the spine to use those majorities, and fast.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Some fun signs in our neighborhood.
It's a beautiful 70 degrees and we took a walk around the neighborhood. We counted 20:1 ratio of Biden/Harris to Trump/Pence signs, covering about 2/3 of the houses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 pm

And my election day t-shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Our best in the neighborhood:

Person
Man
Woman
Vote
Biden

Biden 2020: He won't tear gas your mom
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:02 pm

Hate to be a buzzkill Rommie, but that last is probably not accurate. Especially for people whose moms are Black. :x
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 am

Ugh, the Unfair Death Turtle won his reelection campaign. *sigh* Still hoping Dems can take the Senate.
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:22 am

"USPS disregards court order to conduct sweeps in 12 postal districts after more than 300,000 ballots can’t be traced"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... lays-usps/

Laws don't matter if nobody is both willing and able to enforce them.
lady_*nix

Postby Swift » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:18 am

I'm very depressed at the moment. I don't think things are looking good.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby code monkey » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:33 pm

I have 1 very simple question. what the heck is wrong with my fellow citizens?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 pm

I don't know. This time around I don't know what's worse. Trump, or the almost 50% of voters that cast a ballot for him. I have a bit of understanding about 4 years ago, they didn't know what they were getting into. But now, after 4 years of seeing what he is, they still support him.
pumpkinpi

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:16 pm

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... te-voters/

Racism and misogyny, that's what's wrong with them. This country has never fully confronted its racist past, and for white people the racism has gotten to be literally like a drug - a lot of us them to snort more and more of it just to feel normal.

Edit: I originally put "a lot of us" but let's face it, Jews white or not are also scapegoats here. I grew up with plenty of antisemitic bullying, but I don't think I understood how much goyim literally hate us, even when they claim to be allies, until 2015.
lady_*nix

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:17 pm

A possibility I want y'all to consider for a minute: Biden squeaks through with exactly 270 electoral votes, Trump takes it to SCOTUS, and the Supremes side with Trump and override both the popular and electoral vote.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:27 pm

The one bright spot about the election today: Buster loves statistics, and he's having fun looking at the results and projecting how Biden could win.
pumpkinpi

PreviousNext

Return to Poli-Tics