Evergreen

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Re: Evergreen

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Rommie wrote:Which is why I prefaced it with "I'm not a huge fan of your army example because I'm sure someone will chime in saying I don't know army stuff."

I know that's different, but I think most people are not in the army in their careers or in positions like you guys are stating in their careers.

The example could have been better translated. Unfortunately, having been in the military for 40+ years it's definitely something I understand. And I have had the opportunity to watch it evolve a lot.

For example, making people march en mass until 2 AM as a group punishment was a fairly accepted practice around the time I entered into military service. So was a practice referred to as "Wall to Wall Counseling". Essentially the military equivalent of taking someone to the wood shed and giving them a whooping. Over time those practices were seen as abusive and not as effective as people thought they were in building team cohesion and individual self discipline.

At one time the army tried using "stress cards". The basic trainee could show his stress card when he was feeling overwhelmed and the instructors were supposed to give him a break to let him/her reduce their stress level. You should hear the old-timer's hoot and laugh about that one. :P

What is very interesting is the conversations that have occurred over the years with some very honest and sincere efforts to determine what qualifies as actual character and team building strategies and methods. Vs. actual abuse and just trying to break people for no better reason than "Because they don't belong in my Army". I have also seen that attitude in nursing and other professions where being able to deal with high levels of stress is part of the occupational profile. Nursing, police, firefighters, sports teams, and military groups are some examples where these evolutions have occurred. Or should.

College, I think, used to be a place where you were expected to "grow up" and the attitude was decidedly different then.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

When I was in college, once a week we'd have to pick the weakest of the students and go after them.
It wasn't cruel or unusual punishment. We were just all so poor and we needed to eat.
But boy was the feasting good when we got a chubby one! :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 pm

vendic wrote:When I was in college, once a week we'd have to pick the weakest of the students and go after them.
It wasn't cruel or unusual punishment. We were just all so poor and we needed to eat.
But boy was the feasting good when we got a chubby one! :P

I bet they wished there were safe zones! roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm

squ1d wrote:Is it just me or are SFC and FZ currently undergoing a rightwingoplasty? lol

Conservative and right wing are two different things. I'm looking at things from a different perspective. A lot of it makes sense, and so far when I approach my friends, most of whom are on the Left, I'm not getting explanations, understanding or anything other than mockery and the idea that I'm not toeing the moral line. As though if I disagree with anything on the left, I've become a rightwing racist. There is a lot of anger if I even question the status quo. It's not helping.

Oddly enough, when I speak with conservatives about leftist ideas, they are polite and willing to have a conversation. I realize this is anecdotal, but it's very frustrating.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:22 am

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/j ... een-state/

I love how these are the same people demanding safe spaces and respect while calling their professors fucking racist assholes, mother fuckers etc.
Apparently respect is a white way street. You get none if you're white.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Previous

Return to Poli-Tics