FL school shooting

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Re: FL school shooting

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Rommie wrote:I've thought about the nuclear drills as well, but as someone who didn't live it I wasn't sure if it was in fact the same sort of analogy.

I do think there's something to the fact that outside a small percentage of people who grew up with AR-15s lying around the house (I'm sure they exist), exposing a kid to this kind of stuff would make you really afraid of guns. (I mean, that tornado drill was scary and made me think they were far more common than they were in Pittsburgh, because kids are not really good at distinguishing threat probabilities.) The NRA likely got as insanely powerful as it did because older generations didn't have such a visceral anti-gun reaction as a kid who grew up doing this would.

Also, btw, what's with the "we are now going to ban AR-15s for those under 21" thing? Seems a dumb solution given that the Vegas shooter for example was well over that age.

I think they are trying to give/say just enough to get people to feel like they did something. And these are the "moderates". Anything that gets passed has to get by the folks who are not moderate.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm reading reports that not only did the deputy sheriff assigned to the school fail to act, three other deputies who arrived first at the scene also failed to enter the school. They instead hid behind their cars. It was city police officers who, arriving a bit later, entered the building.

I'll repeat what I stated earlier. I remain open to new evidence and testimony from those on the scene, but it appears to me that the Broward County deputy is a fucking coward. And now it appears that he isn't the only cowardly deputy in that department.

This, second only to the overarching issue of what to do to control guns, is something we as a nation need to address: police officers who seem to not understand what 'serve and protect' means. Maybe it's better training; maybe it's better cops. But to have four sheriff deputies outside that school while kids were dying inside is just fucking outrageous.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby squ1d » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Many years ago, a member here posted something about wondering whether or not we should "Build a wall around the Middle East, throw more guns in" and I guess see what was left afterwards.

............. Yeah.
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:16 pm

There are sooooo many problems in Broward County. Random example: Z helped a marine cop weld his trailer because they're expected to do "basic" maintenance on their own dime.

Don't even get me started on the massive issues with sewage here. Arsenic in the water.

Also, the sheriff put forward a policy that involves not prosecuting teenagers. The department was contacted 39 times about this kid.

I have the same opinion as geonuc regarding the cowardice.

Also, a number of cities in this county are having issues with corruption, all info that is available in local news.

Finally, I agree with Rommie about having hope and loving these kids. They are doing activism the right way.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm

And I'll tell you who isn't a coward. The kid who got shot five times saving his classmates by closing and locking the door. So, I find the deputies' inaction indefensible. So do the Coral Gables cops who actually went in.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

squ1d wrote:Many years ago, a member here posted something about wondering whether or not we should "Build a wall around the Middle East, throw more guns in" and I guess see what was left afterwards.

............. Yeah.

Turned out he had a brain tumor. :P
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
squ1d wrote:Many years ago, a member here posted something about wondering whether or not we should "Build a wall around the Middle East, throw more guns in" and I guess see what was left afterwards.

............. Yeah.

Doesn't mean his logic wasn't sound. :P Or that we might want to do the same thing with Florida after we evacuate all the sane people. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

............. Yeah.

Doesn't mean his logic wasn't sound. :P Or that we might want to do the same thing with Florida after we evacuate all the sane people. :lol:

Don't know if I qualify as sane, but we're gonna get out ASAP.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am

SciFiFisher wrote:Doesn't mean his logic wasn't sound. :P Or that we might want to do the same thing with Florida after we evacuate all the sane people. :lol:

Haha,I was just alluding to the parallels in the way things seem to be going in the USA now.

You know, a big wall to be built.

More guns every time a bunch of children get shot.

I guess it must be fair international policy if you're willing to do it at home too :)
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm

squ1d wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Doesn't mean his logic wasn't sound. :P Or that we might want to do the same thing with Florida after we evacuate all the sane people. :lol:

Haha,I was just alluding to the parallels in the way things seem to be going in the USA now.

I guess it must be fair international policy if you're willing to do it at home too :)

It does seem that we are consistently inconsistent. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:And I'll tell you who isn't a coward. The kid who got shot five times saving his classmates by closing and locking the door. So, I find the deputies' inaction indefensible. So do the Coral Gables cops who actually went in.

Yeah, that kid is made of the right stuff. Glad he survived.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 pm

squ1d wrote:

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Ouch, Man.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 am

So wow, just when you'd naively think surely Trump couldn't say something that stupid...

Personally, I just always thought his bone spurs meant he couldn't run, but thinking about it more I would actually pay good money to see him run, period.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:31 pm

What else would you expect to come out of the mouth of a 5th grade bully?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Rommie wrote:So wow, just when you'd naively think surely Trump couldn't say something that stupid...

Personally, I just always thought his bone spurs meant he couldn't run, but thinking about it more I would actually pay good money to see him run, period.

From the article
President Donald Trump said he believes he would have intervened in the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, almost two weeks ago.

The really sad thing is he probably does believe it, he is so detached from reality.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Swift wrote:The really sad thing is he probably does believe it, he is so detached from reality.

The really scary thing, too. Having a president who is stupid, ignorant and easily manipulated is one thing. Having one who is all that but also can't tell fact from fiction is frightening.
Last edited by geonuc on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Deleted - double post.
Last edited by geonuc on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby squ1d » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Are Bone Spurs a precursor to Boneitis?

Because I think that's the only hope at the moment.

squ1d

Postby geonuc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 pm

With respect to the deputy sheriff that was at the school, his attorney says his client thought the shooter was outside the school and refers to radio transmission transcripts which suggest there was a victim at the football field. If true, that changes my opinion of him somewhat, although I still fail to see why the police officers arrived to find four deputies hiding behind their cars. If there was a victim on the field, why didn't at least one or two of them head that way? Many questions to be answered.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 am

squ1d wrote:Are Bone Spurs a precursor to Boneitis?

Because I think that's the only hope at the moment.

There is a faint chance he might catch a particularly virulent form of osteomyelitis. Very Faint. But, one can hope. :twisted:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:33 pm

geonuc wrote:With respect to the deputy sheriff that was at the school, his attorney says his client thought the shooter was outside the school and refers to radio transmission transcripts which suggest there was a victim at the football field. If true, that changes my opinion of him somewhat, although I still fail to see why the police officers arrived to find four deputies hiding behind their cars. If there was a victim on the field, why didn't at least one or two of them head that way? Many questions to be answered.

And the attorney general of Florida agrees with you. Pretty certain, at this point, the problem is coming from the "amazing leadership" of the sheriff.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:58 am

Sure seems like the anti-gun movement is gaining steam. Along with Dick's Sporting Good not selling assault rifles, high capacity magazines and to those under 21, several large companies such as Delta have eliminated NRA perks, Chubb insurance will no longer offer NRA members 'murder insurance', and WalMart (which had already stopped selling assault rifles) now won't sell toys that look like assault rifles and they too have imposed a 21 year old age requirement for firearms and ammunition.

So, to what do we attribute this turn in national attitude? Keep in mind that in 2012, a gunman killed a couple dozen elementary school children and teachers and that had little effect.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 am

Walmart has decided not to sell guns to anyone under 21.

They also stopped selling "assault style rifles" about 3 years ago because sales demand was weak.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm

geonuc wrote:...several large companies such as Delta have eliminated NRA perks,
This came a surprise to me, that membership in the NRA could get you benefits from different companies. Nothing against the average member of the NRA, (I have friends who are members that take advantage of train and gun safety classes), but why should a member get to fly cheaper than me? I mean from a business standpoint, what's in it for Delta? Do they have flagging ticket sales that they have to offer cheap seats to the NRA just to fill planes? Hardly. Then that d|ckhead Lt. Gov of Georgia threatening Delta is despicable. In Thumper's world, Delta would leave Atlanta and that $hitty overcrowded, always late Airport for another city. Then after the loss of 10's of thousands and jobs and millions of dollars, the good people of the greater Atlanta area would tar and feather that bully chump. Alas.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Poli-Tics