The 20% college rape statistics rebuted

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

The 20% college rape statistics rebuted

Postby vendic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Seems there was some problems with the way they were derived.
Like, a woman who says she wasn't a victim of rape, still might be considered by the survey as a victim of rape.

All in here: US Dep of Justice

The actual figure (rape and sexual assault) is about 0.6% of college students, and slightly higher for women in 18-24 that are non college students. Cases of sexual assault have been on the decline for decades as well.

More information on how some of the other statistics were derived: Bad stats

According to that system of grading, I'm a serial rapist because I've had sex with my wife after she had been drinking...mind you, that also means I was raped by her at the time too, but, male figures were excluded. I feel so violated now. :roll:
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: The 20% college rape statistics rebuted

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:17 pm

The DOJ report concluded that 20% of sexual assaults are reported to the police, not that 20% of women were assaulted.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 am

geonuc wrote:The DOJ report concluded that 20% of sexual assaults are reported to the police, not that 20% of women were assaulted.

Other studies have shown that 20% of women in college are raped. Politicians, feminists, people with political agendas have used this statistic. This report above debunks those studies. The 20% reporting rate in this study is just a coincidence, and has nothing to do with the figure other sites are using as the actual % of women raped in college.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:47 am

For anyone who really wants to know about this topic, I can't recommend enough Missoula by Jon Krakauer. It's a tough read but a good one, about rape and how it's treated in our society (and in Missoula, Montana in particular). He also refuses to say anything in the book about the specific cases that aren't corroborated by multiple sources.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby brite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:53 pm

I read Missoula... And then spent weeks working through my own issues, that popped up, not that they went away... but they cropped up again. 20% of rapes in college settings are reported. Why? Because “boys will be boys” and what the hells was she doing drinking any way? And why was she dressed that way? And why was she there? And why was she with him? And why was she at college? And why was she walking alone? And why was she dating him? And why did she open the door? And why was she...

It’s all about HER behavior. Never about HIS. And that’s not how it should be. It should be if a woman says that she was raped, the school shouldn’t be investigating, the police should. There should not be a “student tribunal” deciding guilt or innocence. There should be a POLICE investigation.

If her car had been stolen, the police would investigate, and no one would care what she was wearing, what she was drinking, who she was with... it would be a crime to be investigated. While rape is a very intimate crime, it is a crime, nonetheless. But colleges have turned it into a he said/she said.

SO while you may have had sex with the woman that became your wife while she was drunk, and she had sex with you while you were drunk, it was obviously consensual. That is not rape. Rape takes your soul. There is a huge difference.
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 am

brite wrote:SO while you may have had sex with the woman that became your wife while she was drunk, and she had sex with you while you were drunk, it was obviously consensual. That is not rape. Rape takes your soul. There is a huge difference.

Absolutely! And I, for one, am very tired of people conflating the word rape with 'bad decision'. Women that complain they were raped because they have regrets after having sex while drinking are idiots. And they take the focus away from the very real horror that is rape. I know the shit that I still have to deal with after having almost been raped, and I cannot imagine - I CANNOT IMAGINE - the horror of actually being raped, and I am fucking sick to death of blaming the victims!!!!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
brite wrote:SO while you may have had sex with the woman that became your wife while she was drunk, and she had sex with you while you were drunk, it was obviously consensual. That is not rape. Rape takes your soul. There is a huge difference.

Absolutely! And I, for one, am very tired of people conflating the word rape with 'bad decision'. Women that complain they were raped because they have regrets after having sex while drinking are idiots. And they take the focus away from the very real horror that is rape. I know the shit that I still have to deal with after having almost been raped, and I cannot imagine - I CANNOT IMAGINE - the horror of actually being raped, and I am fucking sick to death of blaming the victims!!!!

Amen, sisters.

One of the big things about Missoula IMO is Krakauer was very good about laying out how the initial belief of the police and the community was just completely different for rape versus other cases. Like how when a girl reported it the cops would ask early on if she had a boyfriend, explaining they often had women who cheated on their boyfriend and then claimed it was rape. Like WTF, that might be true, but how about you believe the victim first and if it's false your investigation should find that out in due course?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Poli-Tics