Trump and LBGT's

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Trump and LBGT's

Postby vendic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

This might be surprising to some and others will remain unconvinced but here is an interesting article from Salon"

Specifically this post was for GJ because the issue isn't as clear cut as some would like us to think.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/02/on-lgbt ... convinced/

“As your president I will do everything in my power to protect LGBTQ citizens,” he said, before congratulating the crowd for offering some modest applause. Trump also allowed prominent gay Republican Peter Thiel to proclaim “I’m proud to be gay” from the stage, something that would have been unthinkable at any prior GOP convention...

In a November interview with CBS, Trump called the issue of same-sex marriage “irrelevant” and “already settled” by the Obergefell decision. “It’s law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean, it’s done,” he told “60 Minutes” reporter Lesley Stahl. “And I’m fine with that.”...

Trump further angered the Christian right this week when he went back on his promise to repeal “every single Obama executive order” by refusing to revoke a 2014 regulation signed by former president Barack Obama that prohibited federal contractors from discriminating against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.

In a statement released by the White House on Tuesday, the administration said that the president “is determined to protect the rights of all Americans, including the LGBTQ community.”

“President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of LGBTQ rights, just as he was throughout the election,” the statement continued. “The President is proud to have been the first ever GOP nominee to mention the LGBTQ community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression.”

Take from it what you will but so far it seems that he is not going to do the things many are mortally afraid he will do and has already actively demonstrated that by rejecting the religious rights desires.

IOW, don't get caught up in FUD and confirmation bias. Things are rarely black/white or evil/good as media would like to have us believe.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Trump and LBGT's

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:19 pm

This is really a strange post to read when all my LGBTQ friends are freaking out about these rumors. Basically, it looks like an executive order has been circulated that will be on par with the rules in Indiana allowing discrimination against gay people for private companies, along with a slew of other stuff.

So I think it's a tad too early yet to say it won't be so bad/ celebrate when Trump merely just didn't undo something.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:12 pm

They're talking about this on Fresh Air right now. Pence was quoted in an interview with some religious/conservative "news" organization immediately after the election assuring them that getting rid of LGBTQ "special rights" would be his first priority. I was read his direct quote from someone who was reading it on their phone. I'd have to dig it up, but I take that d|ck at his word. We've seen what he's been trying to do in Indiana.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm

It may be okay for gay white guys. Everyone else is basically gonna get fucked. (Especially trans people re: insurance, and also anyone who's queer and black and/or Muslim.) So basically it's just going to be absolute shit for most queer people.

Also, anyone who trusts Trump to help *anyone* other than his rich buddies is seriously deluding themselves.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Tarragon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:27 pm

He may just be choosing to just fighting one battle at a time. Or maybe he wants the GOP to write a bill to get flack for this to deflect other criticisms from him. And it could be a game of semantics, he won't repeal an executive order since Congress will undo it for him. And maybe he'll leave the federal government and contractors where they are while all other businesses to discriminate.
Tarragon

Postby vendic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:35 pm

From what I read there were executive orders drafted and they were rejected. As far as I know, EO aren't necessarily written by the President, they are submitted for approval. Obama himself rejected some. There is no doubt that Pence and his ilk would like to change things and they are upset that Trump refused to sign an EO they drafted and he left Obama's one in place going against his campaign promise. There is precedent for this behaviour. Trevor Noah called it Truth Trump. He wanted to put Hillary on trial before the election. After he won, he turned around and said, that was good before the election, now, who cares.

Personally on this issue I think Pence and crew are more of a concern than Trump. So far they have tried and Trump has rejected their efforts much to their anger. If he wanted to he could have signed it and got rid of Obama's EO. He didn't. I think that was his active choice because for some reason he doesn't really give a shit about the issue as the religious right want him to. I don't think there is a sinister master plan behind it. As he loves to proclaim, when he wants to do something, he just does it.

Now I'm not claiming that he won't change in the future, I'm saying there is enough doubt to not wallow so deeply to be suicidal over it.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:It may be okay for gay white guys. Everyone else is basically gonna get fucked. (Especially trans people re: insurance, and also anyone who's queer and black and/or Muslim.) So basically it's just going to be absolute shit for most queer people.

Also, anyone who trusts Trump to help *anyone* other than his rich buddies is seriously deluding themselves.

I could say the same of most politicians.
Just look again at the Princeton Study.
What the economic elite and lobbyists want they get on a rising scale wrt the % of them wanting it. Both, are on a rising scale. If they both want the same thing it's almost guaranteed to pass.
What the citizens/people want and don't want is statistically insignificant regardless of which party is in power.
Almost everyone knows it deep down. Some refuse to accept it no matter what but the majority are sick of it. Hence the anti establishment movement.

So using that as a reason to reject Trump, you'd also have to reject pretty much everyone.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Rommie wrote:This is really a strange post to read when all my LGBTQ friends are freaking out about these rumors. Basically, it looks like an executive order has been circulated that will be on par with the rules in Indiana allowing discrimination against gay people for private companies, along with a slew of other stuff.

So I think it's a tad too early yet to say it won't be so bad/ celebrate when Trump merely just didn't undo something.

Not celebrating. But it is interesting to note that the linked article is in a decidedly liberal magazine. I found that interesting.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Poli-Tics