Bill Browder on Russia

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Bill Browder on Russia

Postby Rommie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm

I don't know if I mentioned it, but a few years ago I was lucky enough to catch a lecture by Bill Browder. He was the grandson of the head of the US Communist Party who rebelled by going to Russia in the 90s and was a hedge fund manager, and is now a billionaire. But over time he kept running into Russian corruption, got banned from entering Russia, and the whistleblower lawyer he hired ended up being murdered while in Russian prison. All in all, one of the more insane lectures I'd ever heard, as the guy is basically on a mission to get justice for this death, and his book is an insane read if you're curious (it's called Red Notice).

If you're not though, he's giving testimony to the Senate today about how Russian operatives work in the USA, and you can read the prepared remarks here. I highly recommend checking it out.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Bill Browder on Russia

Postby squ1d » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

FAKE NEWS

#OrangePerson
squ1d

Postby Parrothead » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm

He spoke here 3 years ago. I didn't get a chance to go, IIRC, the event was partly organized by some in the esto community.

ETA: He was here earlier this year on his book tour, too. I believe he was in some documentary I saw a couple of years ago. He showed some flow chart of monies being siphoned from different areas and ending up in accounts he claimed were held by Russian officials. He makes sure the name Sergei Magnitsky is remembered.
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm

IIRC he was very involved in getting the Magninsky Act passed. And rightly so. We have RICO and Anti-Corruption laws because we know that if we can stop the flow of money to criminal enterprises it does more to cripple them than sending members of the enterprise to prison. People are replaceable. Money is a littler harder. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:39 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:...if we can stop the flow of money to criminal enterprises it does more to cripple them than sending members of the enterprise to prison. People are replaceable. Money is a littler harder. :P
That's what I always thought about Al Qaeda and ISIS. We're always talking about taking out the 3rd in command of this or the lieutenant of that, yet the organism still lives. Take their wallet away and they're just a bunch of whiny, self righteous pr|cks. Who funds these maniacs? We can't seem to stop that financing.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:...if we can stop the flow of money to criminal enterprises it does more to cripple them than sending members of the enterprise to prison. People are replaceable. Money is a littler harder. :P
That's what I always thought about Al Qaeda and ISIS. We're always talking about taking out the 3rd in command of this or the lieutenant of that, yet the organism still lives. Take their wallet away and they're just a bunch of whiny, self righteous pr|cks. Who funds these maniacs? We can't seem to stop that financing.

Depends on which day of the week and which branch of the terrorist tree it is. They are funded a variety of ways. Many of them run illegal drugs on the side. Allah hates alcohol but loves opium. As long as you sell it to the infidels. Then there are the state actors who funnel money to the various organizations. i.e. Iran, Saudi Arabia (not as blatant as they used to be), Russia, and I wouldn't be surprised if China wasn't sending money to certain organizations as long as they are giving us, Europe or others grief. Then there is the slave trade. ISIS sold a lot of their captives to other middle eastern folks. Some of whom probably lived and worked in countries that are our allies or who have signed compacts against human trafficking. And, of course, when all else fails there is the usual round of criminal enterprises: theft, illegal antiquities, art, kidnapping, extortion, graft, and black marketeering. My favorite though are the charities and mosques that raise money for orphans and widows. I am sure it is not their fault that most of the money goes to Al Qaida or Hezbollah. :evil:

Believe it or not a lot of efforts on the part of the U.S. actually are about trying to interrupt the flow of money to terrorist organizations. Of course, where there is a will there is a way. Sometimes it's like playing whack a mole. As soon as you crimp one conduit they find another. That is also one of the reasons that virtual currency such as bitcoin is considered to be suspect. If it becomes a major way for people to move money around it will be very difficult for governments to track. Tax evasion, terrorist funding, organized crime cartels, and etc.

Never forget that classis slogan: Don't Steal. The Government hates competition. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 am

Well, that's depressing.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah, there were definitely official sanctions like cutting off bank accounts within days of 9/11 for Al Qaeda in freezing bank accounts etc. Basically what Fisher said, and I think the nature of sanctions against a country versus a group are just easier to implement (like, you do have to state your nationality when you open a bank account and such).

That said, can anyone actually find an article that tells me what's IN the new sanctions? All the articles I've found just go straight to the "omg will Trump sign it" speculation, which isn't actually helpful when I read my random Hungarian relatives worry that some go too far and will have consequences for European businesses as well.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Rommie wrote: All the articles I've found just go straight to the "omg will Trump sign it" speculation, which isn't actually helpful when I read my random Hungarian relatives worry that some go too far and will have consequences for European businesses as well.

I believe this is the bill. I hope you find it helpful.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Poli-Tics