What the govt is up to these days, re immigration

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

What the govt is up to these days, re immigration

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:37 am

Basically, treating undocumented immigrants and their children (including asylum seekers) like political prisoners in some third world dictatorship. Cold cells, only Mylar blankets for warmth, denying them toiletries and basic supplies.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2018/02/28/f ... ding-cells

I reiterate, the people in the Trump administration are the lowest of the low.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: What the govt is up to these days, re immigration

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 am

Worth noting that this goes back a ways too. The images in the linked article are from 2015 - the current level of brutality has been a logical progression from prior human rights violations.

Fascism in America didn't come out of nowhere.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Somewhat related to this. The Supremes have upheld the Trump travel ban 3.0. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/us/p ... l-ban.html

WASHINGTON — President Trump acted lawfully in imposing limits on travel from several predominantly Muslim nations, the Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.

The vote was 5 to 4, with the court’s conservatives in the majority.

Writing for the majority, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said that Mr. Trump had ample statutory authority to make national security judgments in the realm of immigration. And he rejected a constitutional challenge to Mr. Trump’s latest executive order on the matter, his third, this one issued as a proclamation in September.

Chief Justice Roberts acknowledged that Mr. Trump’s had made many statements concerning his desire to impose a “Muslim ban.”

“The issue before us is not whether to denounce the statements,” the chief justice wrote. “It is instead the significance of those statements in reviewing a presidential directive, neutral on its face, addressing a matter within the core of executive responsibility.”
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Ughhhh. What a shitty month.

The only silver lining I can find here is there is 100% no way to pretend one doesn’t know what this administration is about, and how important it is to vote in November.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 am

@Fisher

It's like "Stop hitting yourself!" as the highest principle in the land.

"Oh, technically it juuuuuust checks out as legal so actually it's perfectly ethical and okay! Enjoy your suffering, proles!"

@Rommie

I expect a lot of voting hijinks at a minimum TBH, and attempts to postpone or prevent elections at worst. The Republicans are an explicitly authoritarian party now with an archetypal authoritarian leader, backed by a large authoritarian movement. Voting only works if they're forced to honor it, and I think whether they will be is a reasonable worry at this point.

Vote like your life depends on it. Just don't be caught off guard if your vote is silenced or ignored. :(
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 am

https://www.facebook.com/notes/scarlet- ... 837611079/

This is some fucking Nazi bullshit here.

Also this gem

One thing you won't see much of in the CBP processing center? Fathers caged with their children. After pressing the CBP agents, they explained that men traveling with children are automatically released from the facility. They just don't have the cages there to hold them. Women with small children, on the other hand, could be detained indefinitely. I pressed them on this again and again. The only answer: they claimed to be protecting "the safety of the mother and children."

Can't even find words for that. :(
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm

I didn't even find that the most horrifying part. Did read it and immediately send a donation to the charity listed as where those released are sent, because I'm not sure what else I can immediately do.

There are some terrible people in the world. :(

Also, I heard yesterday that one of the things that correlates with people who support the current policy is "people who haven't heard the audio clip of children separated from their parents crying for them." Which goes to show how much in a bubble some people in this country are IMO.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Rommie wrote:I didn't even find that the most horrifying part. Did read it and immediately send a donation to the charity listed as where those released are sent, because I'm not sure what else I can immediately do.

There are some terrible people in the world. :(

Also, I heard yesterday that one of the things that correlates with people who support the current policy is "people who haven't heard the audio clip of children separated from their parents crying for them." Which goes to show how much in a bubble some people in this country are IMO.

What, partly, frightens me is how quickly people claimed the recordings were faked or that the little children in the videos are "crisis actors". OK, I get that you don't want to admit that you are a shitty person but seriously if you can't deal with something like this without feeling some degree of compassion or concern then the problem Is way beyond you being a shitty person.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics