Protecting your freedom, one violation of freedom at a time

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Protecting your freedom, one violation of freedom at a time

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Seriously?

The ACLU is representing a New Mexico woman in her fifties who was subjected by federal agents to a two-handed (!) vaginal and anal examination, an involuntary X-ray and CAT scan, and was forced to defecate in front of strangers. The woman was suspected of being in possession of drugs, on the basis of a drug-dog alert at the Juarez/El Paso border-crossing. No drugs were found. The federal agents -- it's not clear what agency they were with -- did not obtain a warrant. The doctors at University Medical Center in El Paso performed the procedures without the victim's consent, including the CT scan, which subjects people to a high dose of potentially harmful radiation.

Warrantless sexual violation and CT scan. Apparently that's a thing that can happen in the Land Of The Free.

Link
The Supreme Canuck

Re: Protecting your freedom, one violation of freedom at a t

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 pm

I don't know about you, but I suspect that this was about the agents having their sadistic "fun" at her expense, not about actually doing their job. Law enforcement officers are unfortunately only human, and some of them will become bastards if you give them too much power.

I do hope that some heads roll in this case. But I don't have much hope about stricter limits being set on these people.

Edit: I do wonder if the agents could be taken to court on sexual assault charges. Seriously.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Rommie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Well I do know that when you're at a US border the agents there can make you strip naked without a warrant- that's a pre-9/11 measure actually, as I remember reading an article about it back then (of course if you look at the stats brown people are ordered to do so way more often). You really do lose a lot of your rights when entering at the border.

Can't say I've read about the other stuff happening before though, so not sure about the details there.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:13 am

She might be able to sue the hospital for performing the examinations without her consent. In the absence of a warrant they are not covered.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn once. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics