Singapore life

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Singapore life

Postby Morrolan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Fucking palm oil companies are burning down the rain forests in Sumatra again to make way for more palm oil plantations and Singapore and Malaysia are now suffering a massive haze covering us. The PSI index now stands at 321 (300 is danger level) and there is no sign of abating. It has never been this high before. The previous record was from 1996 at 224 and that cost the S.E. Asian economies an estimated USD 6 billion.

Indonesian government does nothing to curb this and is telling our government to "not interfere with domestic issues". Fucking wankers. :cuss:

Don't use palm oil products!
"We don't let them have ideas. Why would we let them have guns?" Stalin
Morrolan

Re: Singapore life

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Don't worry. I won't. Maybe it's time for a vacation? How long does the burning off last?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 pm

man that sucks.:(
FZR1KG

Postby Swift » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes, that sucks. I wonder what more Malaysia could do.

A little googling about this issue found this "save the organutan" group that has this petition drive to stop the rainforest destruction. I don't know if it does any good, but at least it is a path to direct our rants.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Morrolan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 am

the dry season lasts until October. usually the haze 'season' is from July till September. this year very early, very heavy. our government has asked for satellite pics from Indonesia, so they can identify the companies responsible via the hotspots (currently well over 100), but Indonesia refused. Obviously, via our good relationships with the US military we could get them via that route, but I'm not sure they want to aggravate the biggest aggressor in the region that much.
"We don't let them have ideas. Why would we let them have guns?" Stalin
Morrolan

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am

#1 story on BBC right now...

Hope you and your family stay safe!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant