Media Coverage and "While" Syndrome

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Media Coverage and "While" Syndrome

Postby norm » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I get rather annoyed when people mistake coverage of one event for the lack of coverage of another.

Example:

Event - James Gandolfini died. Many people talk about this on television and post about it on facebook.

High Horse Reactions I've seen (paraphrased) -

"While everyone is posting about that guy from The Sopranos, soldiers are still fighting and dying in Afghanistan."

"Thank you American media for your continued coverage of James Gandolfini while people are starving in Africa. Makes me sick."

I've seen a few other causes mentioned (Syria, Mali) and probably more that are just not part of my facebook circle. It drives me nuts, because this argument can be made about almost anything. But it's a false equivalence in many ways. Are there problems with mainstream media coverage of issues? Absolutely, keeping in mind that they are only reporting stories that will net them the most viewers and drive up ad revenues (cynical view, but probably true). I guess I just don't like how caring about one thing by definition means I don't care about another, in their view.
When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.
norm

Re: Media Coverage and "While" Syndrome

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Gandolf is dead??
We're all fucked now!
FZR1KG

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I almost fell into this when I saw the thread that he had passed. I felt the urge to reply how little I cared or post links to people who recently died who I felt were "more important." Then the Greg House inside me said, "You're an Idiot!" If you care so little about the subject, why did you even open the thread? It was close but I caught myself. I wonder why that seems to be a common sentiment. People railed against the space program (still do) with these kinds of non-arguements
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Thumper wrote:I almost fell into this when I saw the thread that he had passed. I felt the urge to reply how little I cared or post links to people who recently died who I felt were "more important." Then the Greg House inside me said, "You're an Idiot!" If you care so little about the subject, why did you even open the thread? It was close but I caught myself. I wonder why that seems to be a common sentiment. People railed against the space program (still do) with these kinds of non-arguements

I don't know why people do that, but I agree that it's very common. I now limit myself to only doing it in conversation, and only as a joke. If lots of people are enjoying themselves talking about something I care nothing about, and I can't escape, I just sit there politely and enjoy my drink. :D

That's why I stay out of all the sports threads.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Incidentally, I recommend you post about people you care about who have passed. I post all the celebrities that I think someone might be interested in, in Lights, Camera - but sometimes I miss news stories or it's in a realm I'm unfamiliar with.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 pm

I think it has a lot to do with what I call "zero sum thinking". Another term for it is scarcity thinking. People think that just because you are spending time and energy on one topic it takes away time and energy from the second topic.

So, if the media spends time reporting on the death of a celebrity they are using limited resources that could have been better spent on reporting on the war in Afghanistan.

They don't seem to realize that if a need exists for a news channel about war it will be created. It can coexist beside a news channel about dead celebrities. the time, energy, and resources used for war news does not mean there is less for dead celebrities.

It just means that thier limited attention span will have more ways that they can be distracted. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby brite » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting or something?? :P
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 pm

How can I possibly enjoy this sunset on a tropical island when the Sun is setting elsewhere and people are drawing their last breath and someone somewhere has just found out their kitten has died and a killer whale just killed a seal?
What kind of sick people can enjoy themselves in this cruel miserable world we live in full of suffering and death?
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Always reminds me of this image when this kind of thing happens-

Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:37 am

FZR1KG wrote:How can I possibly enjoy this sunset on a tropical island when the Sun is setting elsewhere and people are drawing their last breath and someone somewhere has just found out their kitten has died and a killer whale just killed a seal?
What kind of sick people can enjoy themselves in this cruel miserable world we live in full of suffering and death?

I call that self imposed guilt. :lol: Because if you are enjoying yourself you should feel guilty. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I can fall into that one too.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Thumper wrote:I can fall into that one too.

You and GJ both. All I can say is it's not healthy at all... in case you didn't know. :)
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Ooh! Ooh! Me too! Former Catholic, after all.

:lol:
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:30 am

The ONLY thing you should feel guilty for is masturbating!

Hookers are soooo cheap in this economy. Support your community damnit!
FZR1KG

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant