Scientology, sausages, and the law

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Scientology, sausages, and the law

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:11 am

This article from a few years back makes me feel like I'm hallucinating or something:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... 0633.htmll.

So, two people sued the Church of Scientology under a human trafficking statute. They lost because the CoS' activities did not constitute "human trafficking" per say. I suppose I can understand that. But, also, there's this.

[The judges] also said that the lower court properly rested its rulings on the ministerial exception which says courts may not scrutinize many aspects of the minister-church relationship.

I cannot even begin to understand how this flies, legally. I mean, I know the US legal system is corrupt. But ministerial exemption for physically abusing people, as a matter of legal theory and legal practice, is just beyond the beyond. I have trouble believing the above makes an ounce of sense.

... I probably shouldn't be surprised by stuff like this any more, either. But every time I think things could not possibly get more stupid here... well.

P.S. Here is a photo of a fence outside the CoS' "Gold Base":
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _focus.jpg

It is literally studded with dagger blades. What the fuck.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Scientology, sausages, and the law

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:19 pm

I think you're reading more into that article than is proper. It doesn't say what aspects of the church-ministerial relationship the lower court found it couldn't intrude on. I doubt it concerned illegally physically abusing people but without reading the lower court documents, I don't know.

It is legal to physically abuse people if they voluntarily submit to the abuse (up to a limit). The National Football League would not exist otherwise.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Scientology, sausages, and the law

Postby vendic » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:56 pm

or MMA.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant