Just how much more of this?

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Just how much more of this?

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Here is a nice case. A Marine reservist, who had served in Afghanistan, tried to warn people at his former base about a corrupt local police chief they were working with. The Marine Corps instead started investigating him for mishandling classified information, and forgot about his warning. 17 days later, one of the police chief's "servants" shot three Marines dead.

Okay. I can understand the bureaucracy, and being sticklers for rules. I get that. But what really makes me foam at the mouth is this:

"Sarwar Jan, he was a threat to not only the Afghans but our own Marines," Brezler says.

The chief was maybe linked to the Taliban. He was also alleged to be a pedophile who preyed on local boys — something alarmingly common among Afghan warlords.

Recently there's been a debate about whether U.S. forces should tolerate Afghan allies who keep kids at their barracks. Back in 2010, there was no policy. Brezler couldn't fire Sarwar Jan, but he could kick him off the base.

"We put Sarwar Jan on the next helicopter. And, once he left, we could have probably had a parade the next day through the bazaar. The Afghans were absolutely elated," he says.

See also this:

http://www.stripes.com/news/martland-ac ... s-1.397581

It took them this freaking long to consider acting against child rapists, right on their own goddamn bases?!

I know that "the greater good" is a thing, but there really have to be some limits.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Just how much more of this?

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:37 pm

My mom and I used to own a bookkeeping business back in the eighties. We knew one of our clients was smuggling in illegal aliens from Mexico, so we reported her to NHS. Nothing was done to her. We got reamed in an IRS audit...
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Just how much more of this?

Postby squ1d » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Check out the Vice documentary "This is What Winning Looks Like" on Youtube
squ1d

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant