BMR Lite

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Re: BMR Lite

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 pm

One of my best pictures is a car accident.
A guy was told by his wife to take a break because he was tired.
He refused.
Fell asleep and went off the road and flipped the car.
We got there as it happened. Watched him go off the road.
I pulled him out from the car even though he complained about it all the way.
He had no hope of getting out on his own as the door was jammed and I got him out of the window, at his wifes request mind you.

When everyone was safe and the rescue teams arrived I went back to our car grabbed the camera and took a picture.
The guy was standing there looking right at me with this contemptuous look and in the background was his overturned vehicle.
Idiot. Had circumstances been slightly different he would have been a public BBQ.
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok, maybe I should clarify- would you take a picture of a car crash as the victim was still lying there?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Rommie wrote:Ok, maybe I should clarify- would you take a picture of a car crash as the victim was still lying there?

No, he would not.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:58 am

Well I had a weird day.

I had to be up at 5 am (normally I get up at 6) for a work thing. I had to drive down to our plant in Canton, which is a 1-1/2 hour drive.

On the way down a rock got kicked up by a truck into my windshield and made a nice ding, though in the lower left corner.

I get to the plant - we have a relatively big order on a new piece of technology/equipment for us, that we have big push to get done, as it will take multiple batches to make the order. I was working on this most of last week and seemed to have gotten the conditions down. My boss was on vacation, though I was communicating with him by e-mail.

He was back from vacation and down there when I got there about 7:30 and in his "possessed" mode, just crazy to get going as fast as possible. I think he is a little autistic or something, and he gets in these kind of frantic modes. We rushed to get a batch going and it mucked up. So we cleaned it out, and he was pushing it even harder and it mucked up again. It is now about 10:00 and he has to leave - he is off on a business trip the rest of the week. I'm actually glad he left.

So I get a third batch going and this one goes fine. I had hoped to get two done today, but because he killed 3 hours for me, I only get the one, and I also had to cancel a dentist appointment I had to get even that one done.

I go out to my car and now the ding has become a crack about a third of the way across the bottom of my windshield - so now I'm going to need a new windshield.

I get home - my wife is out with a friend, so I start heating up some dinner for me. While that warms, I put dishes away and hang a pot on our hanging pot rack. I walk away and not 10 seconds later there is a crash as the whole pot rack crashes to the floor - the screw holding it up must have unscrewed after like 10 years. I actually could have been hurt if that and all the pots hit me.

I look on line and the new windshield will probably be $350.

So, on the surface, a pretty crappy day. I should be completely bummed and stressed out and I'm not - kind of strange for me, in a good way. Maybe I'm too tired to be worked up.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:42 am

Was it hot?
The reason I ask is a lot of windshields fail in the heat.
A classic case was my fathers car.
We were outside watching it just shatter into thousands of pieces in slow mode just sitting there in the sun.
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:03 am

Swift wrote:I look on line and the new windshield will probably be $350.

Doesn't your insurance have a windshield replacement clause? Mine does - it's covered by a separate deductible.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:54 am

I watched a completely fixable "star" on my window turn into a crack all the way across in about ten minutes one cold winter morning. I deliberately didn't use the defrost but as the car heated up the differential was too much for it.

Two things, first check your insurance, indeed you might be able to get a replacement for 100 bucks or so. Or you can order the same resin the repair shops use and seal the crack. I had an older car that wasn't even worth the deductible. I sealed a crack and it remained stable for over two years.

And yes, it was hot in Ohio yesterday.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

FZR1KG wrote:Was it hot?
The reason I ask is a lot of windshields fail in the heat.
A classic case was my fathers car.
We were outside watching it just shatter into thousands of pieces in slow mode just sitting there in the sun.

As Thumper said, yes, it was in the low 90s F (and will be again the rest of the week)

geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:I look on line and the new windshield will probably be $350.

Doesn't your insurance have a windshield replacement clause? Mine does - it's covered by a separate deductible.

I'm not sure. Even if it does, I might not file a claim. We redid all of our policies about 6 months ago, still with the same company (Allstate), and it dropped our rates a lot, but we are in a sense "new customers" (at least that's my understanding) so if we have a lot of claims in the first several years (I think it is three), our rates will go up.

We already had an issue about this with the homeowners - when they redid that policy, they did a home inspection (they had not made it clear to us that this was going to happen) and had an "issue" with the lock on our sliding glass door that we had to have a different lock put on or they threatened to drop us.

But I was going to call them today and ask.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Yeah, get more information. I've had honest talks with my agent and then used the info to decide whether to file a claim or not. And you can always try the DIY resin trick. What do you have to lose? If it doesn't work you were going to replace the thing anyway. Safelight (and similar companies) won't do it on big long cracks because the odds are that it won't hold. But like I said, it worked for me for over 2 years. Unless you don't like driving around with a cracked windshield (understandable). In which case you're going to have to bite the bullet (and b|tch about it here. Good luck.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Swift wrote:We already had an issue about this with the homeowners - when they redid that policy, they did a home inspection (they had not made it clear to us that this was going to happen) and had an "issue" with the lock on our sliding glass door that we had to have a different lock put on or they threatened to drop us.

But I was going to call them today and ask.

I understand, but windshield replacement is almost not a claim. At least in my experience. It's as if the insurance company assumes that broken windshields are not the fault of the policyholder (good assumption) and given that in most states it's illegal to drive with one, they just replace it. My insurance company (USAA) has a separate webpage for it where you can essentially order a new windshield with a deductible (not your usual deductible). No hassle - their guy comes out to where you are and it takes about an hour.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 am

Its all good, at least so far.

Called my agent and they said there is a $250 deductible, but a claim would not impact my rates. She told me to call the claim center, which I did, they quickly processed my info, and transfered me to the "Allstate Glass Claims" (or something like that). Yes, it is such a common claim they have a dedicated person or persons for it. The lady set up everything, including the appointment for Safelight (their preferred provider, though I could have picked someone else) to come out to my work on Friday and fix it.

And a curious thing... out of my long list of woes in my rant, the only one that got any comments was the windshield. I'm not complaining, I appreciate the suggestions and thoughts. I thought my crazy boss would also get a comment or two. Just proves crazy bosses are more common than broken windshields. :P

Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:50 am

Swift wrote:Just proves crazy bosses are more common than broken windshields. :P

No. It proves that we all know what to do about broken windshields. ;)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 am

When it come to crazy bosses all the options I can think of will leave you without a job, or, with a job in prison. :P
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am

Swift wrote:Just proves crazy bosses are more common than broken windshields. :P

Yes, they are.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am

FZR1KG wrote:When it come to crazy bosses all the options I can think of will leave you without a job, or, with a job in prison. :P
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. OTOH, I have had successful outcomes with broken windshields. We're problem solvers!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Thumper wrote:
FZR1KG wrote:When it come to crazy bosses all the options I can think of will leave you without a job, or, with a job in prison. :P
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. OTOH, I have had successful outcomes with broken windshields. We're problem solvers!

I don't know, coating my boss with epoxy might be a solution too... :mrgreen:

Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Thumper wrote:

Ain't we just!

Now if only I can figure out what the fuck is wrong with my ute. Loss of power, low milage.
Changed the plugs, it has no dizzy or leads, changed the oil, changed the air intake temperature sensor, changed the map sensor, checked and cleaned the PCV valve, cleaned the IAC, checked the fuel pressure, checked for leaking fuel injectors. Still sluggish and low on power and no fault codes coming up.
Next I'm investigating the catalytic converters in case they are blocked. Saved them for last as they are the most expensive.

All this in the heat and on a stone parking lot that is on an angle. Yeah, I'm having a looaad of fun...
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 am

Well, I've decided to replace the o2 sensors first.
The truck has just over 100k on it and they were due to be changed anyway.
Why is this in BRM?
Well,for a 4.7litre fuel injected V8 it gets overtaken by loaded semis going up hill.
I wear sunnies so people can't recognize me as its embarassing.
I've in the last month done four shocks, four tires, the map sensor the air intake sensor, the engine oil, the spark plugs the air filter and its still wanting me to spend more. I want my ever reliable diesel here in the USA!
It just kept going and going and had power and torque oozing from it.
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 am

Finally found the fault!
Cylinder 5 had a rubber seal on the ignition coil plug that wouldn't let it fully connect.
Had to remove the seal to make it click in.
Basically I had a 7 cylinder car.
I would have thought it would have detected that since it has an engine misfire detection system.
Shows how well that software was working.
So power's back and I placed the order for the O2 sensors before hand so will change them as they are due anyway.
Since the wife and MIL are going to NC tomorrow I feel a lot better now. :D
Oh, this is BMR...why the fuck didn't the software detect this?
Stupid Dodge!
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 am

FZR1KG wrote:Finally found the fault!
Cylinder 5 had a rubber seal on the ignition coil plug that wouldn't let it fully connect.
I would have thought it would have detected that since it has an engine misfire detection system.
So power's back and I placed the order for the O2 sensors before hand so will change them as they are due anyway.
Stupid Dodge!

I think some of that engine control and monitoring software is complete crap.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 am

A/C is out. Has been for a few days now. Fortunately, Hotlanta is not all that hot right now - high 80's to low 90's - and I normally keep it set pretty high anyway. Still, given all the rain, some dehumidifying action would be nice.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am

FZR1KG wrote:Finally found the fault!
Stupid Dodge!
I had two possible solutions that I didn't have much hope in. This wasn't one of them. I'm quite surprised you didn't detect the miss yourself. But certainly would have hoped your EMS would have spit out a code. The unburnt fuel going through the converter should have raised its eyebrows.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Thumper wrote:I had two possible solutions that I didn't have much hope in. This wasn't one of them. I'm quite surprised you didn't detect the miss yourself. But certainly would have hoped your EMS would have spit out a code. The unburnt fuel going through the converter should have raised its eyebrows.

It was really weird. No unsteady idle, no popping of the exhaust as I'd expect of getting unburnt fuel in the exhaust and no codes.
Went against everything I've ever seen or worked with.
It just was really sluggish going up hill and the fuel economy turned to shit.

All those signs tend to point to intake or exhaust issues since the timing and everything else was all right.

This engine is meant to idle at around 500rpm and it idles at 700 instead. Always has. I need a programmer to change idle speed.
I'm now left wondering if someone upped the idle because the idle was rough and if this wasn't a problem for a long time.
Still, I know the cylinder fired often as the plugs were pretty good visually just worn.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 am

FZR1KG wrote:
Thumper wrote:I had two possible solutions that I didn't have much hope in. This wasn't one of them. I'm quite surprised you didn't detect the miss yourself. But certainly would have hoped your EMS would have spit out a code. The unburnt fuel going through the converter should have raised its eyebrows.

It was really weird. No unsteady idle, no popping of the exhaust as I'd expect of getting unburnt fuel in the exhaust and no codes.
Went against everything I've ever seen or worked with.
It just was really sluggish going up hill and the fuel economy turned to shit.

All those signs tend to point to intake or exhaust issues since the timing and everything else was all right.

This engine is meant to idle at around 500rpm and it idles at 700 instead. Always has. I need a programmer to change idle speed.
I'm now left wondering if someone upped the idle because the idle was rough and if this wasn't a problem for a long time.
Still, I know the cylinder fired often as the plugs were pretty good visually just worn.

IIRC the new electronic fuel injection systems and the computer that runs them can compensate for a wide variety of issues and keep the engine running smoothly. Unfortunately, they cannot increase the power from the other 7 cylinders to make up for one not firing.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 am

They are however designed to detect miss fires and rich/lean mixtures.
What thumper and I are surprised about is that neither were detected yet both had to be present.
FZR1KG

PreviousNext

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant