BMR Lite

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Re: BMR Lite

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:09 am

Thumper wrote:Everybody has different links of rope, and some people reach the end of their's faster than others. Not making excuses for A-holes but I have seen the end of my rope a few times. I'm pretty sure I wasn't pleasant to be around. Sometimes otherwise decent people can become self absorbed and indignant when pushed too close to the edge. On the other hand, some say your true colors come out when you're faced with a stressful situation or hardship. So...

I agree with the sentiment, but if it went down the way Rommie said, being at the end of one's rope is not a good enough excuse. Hitting someone repeatedly with a bag and being defensive when confronted is never warranted. Also, pretending that you know what the rest of the plane thinks is the height of arrogance. I'd be far more sympathetic if Rommie was at the end of her rope and snapped at one of these asses. ;) But I live by the golden rule, and if I was being that obnoxious, I'd want to be called on it.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Idiot drivers.

Walking in this morning I was at my work's corner. I was waiting for a green left turn arrow to turn red so I could cross at the walk sign. In front of me was a car in a right turn lane who was waiting for me to cross to make his turn. Then someone waiting behind him decided to illegally go around him to turn right. He couldn't wait the extra 15 seconds!

At that same corner going home last week, someone turning right when I had the walk sign decided not to wait. I had already stepped into the crosswalk and had to stop. He stared at me the whole way. Not just a glance, but an intimidating stare.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:42 pm

If only they were the exception...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm sorry, but if you leave me a message like this:
"This is [my name] and my number is [xxx]. I should be here for another hour. Please give me a call back"

I'm not going to give you a call back. Even if you leave me two messages like that. Address me by name and let me know why you are calling. That way I know I'm not a wrong number you dialed, and I can prioritize returning your call.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Correct. I'm not calling you back unless you give me some idea of who you are and why you want me to call you. Otherwise you're spam.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Unless it's on your work number and you can look up the name in the company directory, yeah.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm

My personal favorites are the robocalls that only leave a call back number and no reference at all about what the call is about. Seriously?! Have telemarketers gotten that lazy? :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 am

My favorite are the ones that can't figure out they are talking to a machine. CVS (the drugstore) is famous for that. It will leave messages along the lines of "Press 2 if you want to reorder your prescription, 3 if you want to speak to a pharmacist, 4 if..." like it is talking to a person.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:35 am

At least y'all get voice mails... my big ran lately is, if you don't leave a voice mail, you don't get to talk to me. End of story.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 am

pumpkinpi wrote:Idiot drivers.

Walking in this morning I was at my work's corner. I was waiting for a green left turn arrow to turn red so I could cross at the walk sign. In front of me was a car in a right turn lane who was waiting for me to cross to make his turn. Then someone waiting behind him decided to illegally go around him to turn right. He couldn't wait the extra 15 seconds!

At that same corner going home last week, someone turning right when I had the walk sign decided not to wait. I had already stepped into the crosswalk and had to stop. He stared at me the whole way. Not just a glance, but an intimidating stare.

I feel your pain, except not where I'm living now. Apparently, I've found my way into Pleasantville, where the majority of the people are polite, stop for pedestrians and even wave at each other. It's freaky but awesome.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

I feel your pain, except not where I'm living now. Apparently, I've found my way into Pleasantville, where the majority of the people are polite, stop for pedestrians and even wave at each other. It's freaky but awesome.

Before or after they become Technicolor? :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:13 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

Before or after they become Technicolor? :P

It looks technicolor, but everyone is acting like the black and white phase. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Ugh. I came within 2 feet of being hit at the other stoplight I have to cross against. I was in the crosswalk. I usually stay alert, looking from corner to corner to make sure all cars see me. But this time I was watching the road because it was icy and I didn't want to slip. I didn't see her turning left until she was right in front of me.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:14 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:

Ugh. I came within 2 feet of being hit at the other stoplight I have to cross against. I was in the crosswalk. I usually stay alert, looking from corner to corner to make sure all cars see me. But this time I was watching the road because it was icy and I didn't want to slip. I didn't see her turning left until she was right in front of me.

First: Glad she missed.
Second(Serious): Have you considered or do you wear anything reflective like a high vis vest with 3M tape? Especially if you're walking in the dark. We've been doing that on walks on our road as the sunset was coming earlier and earlier.
Third(Silly): Icy!?Whaaa? Actually, we have a chance of that this weekend.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

First: Glad she missed.
Second(Serious): Have you considered or do you wear anything reflective like a high vis vest with 3M tape? Especially if you're walking in the dark. We've been doing that on walks on our road as the sunset was coming earlier and earlier.
Third(Silly): Icy!?Whaaa? Actually, we have a chance of that this weekend.

It was daylight already and I was in a light colored coat. But as winter approaches it will be staying darker later so I will probably pull out my biking vest. Actually, I should have it today because I'll be walking home in the dark. :cry:

I only started walking to work in January last year, and the days had gotten long enough that I usually was still walking in daylight so I never thought to bring a vest. I always wear it biking, as well as have my lights flashing, even if I'm riding at high noon. I should do the same walking. Well, not the flashing lights!

Yep, we had ice and a bit of dusting on the grass. I wore my boots, which at first I thought was overkill. But because the sidewalks were so icy I ended up walking in the grass, so my feet were properly protected!
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:54 pm

A vest can't hurt, as well as trying to remain eternally vigilant and keep your head on a swivel.

I've driven to OSU's main campus to pick up The Kid a couple times in the last month. Both around the time afternoon classes were letting out. 50,000 pedestrians, bikes, skateboards, and scooters crossing constantly, everywhere. A fantastic exercise in keeping MY head on a swivel.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:29 pm

I find it very telling that my Dutch bf, upon moving to Toronto, flat out refused to get a bike because he found it too dangerous. I mean, I still have it, but I walk a LOT more than I used to upon realizing he's right, and I can walk to work too so who cares.

Maybe next year if we live in a more bike friendly area I'll be on two wheels again, but this city basically thinks if you put down a white stripe next to cars on two lane roads that protects cyclists, even if the cycling lane has tons of potholes in it. And frankly other cyclists are so agressive they're part of the problem too.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Rommie wrote:I find it very telling that my Dutch bf, upon moving to Toronto, flat out refused to get a bike because he found it too dangerous. I mean, I still have it, but I walk a LOT more than I used to upon realizing he's right, and I can walk to work too so who cares.

Maybe next year if we live in a more bike friendly area I'll be on two wheels again, but this city basically thinks if you put down a white stripe next to cars on two lane roads that protects cyclists, even if the cycling lane has tons of potholes in it. And frankly other cyclists are so agressive they're part of the problem too.

Yeah, basically when it gets dark I don't ride my bike. I have to go down 40mph roads and cross over to make left turns, and even with cycling lanes I don't feel safe. This is rush hour and people are focused on getting to work/home. They are not looking out for me. So even with a 1km bike ride I don't feel safe. It's a 20 minute walk, though, and sometimes even when the weather is great for biking, I choose to walk. It's a great start and end to the work day to have some time in my own head.
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 am

pumpkinpi wrote:
Rommie wrote:I find it very telling that my Dutch bf, upon moving to Toronto, flat out refused to get a bike because he found it too dangerous. I mean, I still have it, but I walk a LOT more than I used to upon realizing he's right, and I can walk to work too so who cares.

Yeah, basically when it gets dark I don't ride my bike. I have to go down 40mph roads and cross over to make left turns, and even with cycling lanes I don't feel safe. This is rush hour and people are focused on getting to work/home. They are not looking out for me. So even with a 1km bike ride I don't feel safe. It's a 20 minute walk, though, and sometimes even when the weather is great for biking, I choose to walk. It's a great start and end to the work day to have some time in my own head.

Here in California a lot of people seem to think the bike lane was created to give them room to pass people on the right and/or to use it as a turning lane. :shock:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:14 am

I read a post on Reddit recently where a Bendite was complaining that a California driver passed him on one of our semi-major two-lane streets while he and the cars he was behind were doing 45 MPH (might have been 40). Stupid, yeah? Except my thought was that given that street (which is a block from my house) has a speed limit of 25, why the fuck were you doing 45?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

My husband had to give up two of his favorite hobbies when we moved to the U.S. - motorcycling and hunting. He believes in safety above all else, and he doesn't trust all these crazy Americans, for which I'm grateful. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Oh he's much more likely to die of gun violence than many other causes of death combined. So stay off the hunting path, but biking may be Ok. (Insert the laughing emoticon that's not really laughing).

With regard to the crazies, could be the ratios are even across the US and Australian populations. But with Oz having 3 million square miles and 25 million people, and the US having 3.8 million square miles and 325 million people, you're more likely to run into one (or 100) here. Heck even if every Ozzie was certifiably insane (possible) and only 10% of Americans were, you'd be just as likely to run into one on either continent. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Thumper wrote:Oh he's much more likely to die of gun violence than many other causes of death combined. So stay off the hunting path, but biking may be Ok. (Insert the laughing emoticon that's not really laughing).

With regard to the crazies, could be the ratios are even across the US and Australian populations. But with Oz having 3 million square miles and 25 million people, and the US having 3.8 million square miles and 325 million people, you're more likely to run into one (or 100) here. Heck even if every Ozzie was certifiably insane (possible) and only 10% of Americans were, you'd be just as likely to run into one on either continent. :P

Exactly! :lol: :shock:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Thumper wrote:Oh he's much more likely to die of gun violence than many other causes of death combined. So stay off the hunting path, but biking may be Ok. (Insert the laughing emoticon that's not really laughing).

Those numbers might be somewhat misleading because Australia, much more so than the US, concentrates its population along a thin strip on the coast, and along only one coast at that.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Very true. However, the population difference is significant.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant