BMR Lite

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Re: BMR Lite

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 am

Thumper wrote:Very true. However, the population difference is significant.

Hugely significant. To give everyone context, LA County two fifths the population of the entire country of Australia, and California, the state, has MORE people living there than the entire country of Australia. :shock:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:49 am

SciFi Chick wrote:

Hugely significant. To give everyone context, LA County two fifths the population of the entire country of Australia, and California, the state, has MORE people living there than the entire country of Australia. :shock:

Want to know another interesting trivia item? The State of California Military Department which includes the California National Guard, Air Guard, a few other military organizations, and an actual State Militia is considered to be the equivalent of the 9th largest military in the world.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

Want to know another interesting trivia item? The State of California Military Department which includes the California National Guard, Air Guard, a few other military organizations, and an actual State Militia is considered to be the equivalent of the 9th largest military in the world.

I know! And aren't they like one of the biggest economies in the world as well? Everyone worries about Texas seceding. We'd be in serious trouble if California seceded.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 am

SciFi Chick wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I know! And aren't they like one of the biggest economies in the world as well? Everyone worries about Texas seceding. We'd be in serious trouble if California seceded.

Depending where you Goggle it ranks somewhere between the 4th and the 7th largest economy in the world. That's partially why the balkanization of the U.S. would be a very bad thing. Some of the regions would probably do OK... but, there are a number of states who rely on the economic and tax benefits of being part of the larger conglomerate that is the U.S.

<cough cough sucks to be a red state cough cough>
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Yes, it is. My point was that population density comparisons need to account for Australia's somewhat different population distribution.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

That would take considerable research on my part to compare the population density of a small area of the coast of Australia with say a small area of the Eastern seaboard of the US. My early post was an attempt at humor about the possibility of Zee running into "crazies" here vs. there. If I got things factually wrong or misconstrued, I certainly acquiesce. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Thumper wrote:That would take considerable research on my part to compare the population density of a small area of the coast of Australia with say a small area of the Eastern seaboard of the US. My early post was an attempt at humor about the possibility of Zee running into "crazies" here vs. there. If I got things factually wrong or misconstrued, I certainly acquiesce. :P

No worries, mate. :D
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Today is the day that comes around every 3 years that I dread the most. Some of y'all have felt my pain. (Though not many as much as I have, by my count I've had more than 10 of these.)

Tomorrow I have a colonoscopy. So for the past two days I've been on a restricted low fiber diet. It's hard to fill up on that. And today it's clear liquids only. I'm starving already. This afternoon I get to take some medicine that makes me, well, be tied to the bathroom all night. Then at 4am is the worst part. I have to drink a whole bottle of magnesium citrate. Blech.

But about 25 hours from now it will all be behind me (pun intend me) and if all goes well, I'll be done for another 3 years!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby code monkey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Today is the day that comes around every 3 years that I dread the most. Some of y'all have felt my pain. (Though not many as much as I have, by my count I've had more than 10 of these.)

Tomorrow I have a colonoscopy. So for the past two days I've been on a restricted low fiber diet. It's hard to fill up on that. And today it's clear liquids only. I'm starving already. This afternoon I get to take some medicine that makes me, well, be tied to the bathroom all night. Then at 4am is the worst part. I have to drink a whole bottle of magnesium citrate. Blech.

But about 25 hours from now it will all be behind me (pun intend me) and if all goes well, I'll be done for another 3 years!

all the best to you. (and be sure to have some interesting things to read in the washroom - books, journals, magazines, newspapers etc.) as you say it'll all be over in a day and then you can pretend that nothing ever happened. btw, have you ever read dave barry's account of a colonoscopy?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 pm

I've had one, but just the generic kind without the yummy stuff that you have to drink. He wanted to see me back in 3 years instead of 5 so that's coming up I guess. Luckily, I didn't have trouble with the fasting as I had several experiences with that in preparation for my TKD exams. The nurse was going on and on about exactly what time I had to stop eating this, or drinking that, coffee is okay until now, but no mints after 12:00am. I interrupted and said, "Can I just fast on water for two days so I don't have to remember all this crap, pun intended." I had one issue a day or so after but is was more frightening and alarming rather than painful or uncomfortable. And they had warned me about it so I only panicked briefly. Mrs. T is due for hers. Again just the regular generic screening that everyone is supposed to get.

So I don't envy you. But I know you'll get through it and do fine.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:10 pm

code monkey wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:Today is the day that comes around every 3 years that I dread the most. Some of y'all have felt my pain. (Though not many as much as I have, by my count I've had more than 10 of these.)

all the best to you. (and be sure to have some interesting things to read in the washroom - books, journals, magazines, newspapers etc.) as you say it'll all be over in a day and then you can pretend that nothing ever happened. btw, have you ever read dave barry's account of a colonoscopy?

A couple books, podcasts, The Americans on Amazon Prime (thanks geo, I'm almost through season 1!)
I have read Dave Barry's account, but it's been a while. If I need a laugh I'll look it up again!

It was fun describing the prep and procedure in detail to the kids. I told them this is the one time when it's appropriate to say "up your butt!"
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Good luck today. Are you going to show the children the pictures? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:53 pm

I have a tendency to have a very low heart rate. When I went to do my over 50 initiation and rite of passage the Gastro docs doing my procedure freaked out. Apparently having a heart rate of 28 beats per minute while sedated was not something they were used to. They actually lightened my sedation and I was half awake for the whole procedure. Watching them manipulate the camera was rather interesting. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Oooh, fun stuff.
What are you, like a Tour de France cyclist on the side? Resting heart rate of 28, sheesh!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Michael was resistant to the drug used for sedation and would watch the screen with great interest. he also enjoyed being asked to help steer the implement by pressing here or there. I, on the other hand, would like to be put totally under from the time I get the reminder to make the appt until after it's all done and someone has replaced my jeans etc.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 pm

The first few times I had the procedure I was totally knocked out. Eventually I learned it was "twilight sleep" where I actually was partially awake, but the sedation included drugs to make me forget. I thought that was pretty cool.
When I moved to Minnesota, the practice here used light sedation so that I was awake and aware of what was going on. That was not fun. Now they have moved on to propofol. I was completely out, thankfully. And apparently I woke up at one point and told the doctors I was having some pretty nice dreams!

Everything looks clear, no pictures to take home though!
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Thumper wrote:Oooh, fun stuff.
What are you, like a Tour de France cyclist on the side? Resting heart rate of 28, sheesh!

:lol: Seriously, I am not a terribly athletic person. Even while in the army I wasn't even a gym rat. I either have a seriously efficient cardio-vascular system in spite of my benign neglect OR I have slow conduction issues that will someday end with me getting a pacemaker. Mind you, one theory does not preclude the other.

After my GI fun the army sent me for the One Million Dollar cardiology evaluation. The cardiologist said "Basically, as long as you are not showing symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or passing out there is no reason to put a pacemaker in. And if we put a pacemaker in now your military career is over". At the time I was hopeful that World War III would ensue and I would magically become a General and retire to a life of luxury and filthy lucre. So I told him to hold off on that pacemaker thing until I started to do all those wonderful things that would require me to get a pacemaker. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:

:lol: Seriously, I am not a terribly athletic person. Even while in the army I wasn't even a gym rat. I either have a seriously efficient cardio-vascular system in spite of my benign neglect OR I have slow conduction issues that will someday end with me getting a pacemaker. Mind you, one theory does not preclude the other.

After my GI fun the army sent me for the One Million Dollar cardiology evaluation. The cardiologist said "Basically, as long as you are not showing symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or passing out there is no reason to put a pacemaker in. And if we put a pacemaker in now your military career is over". At the time I was hopeful that World War III would ensue and I would magically become a General and retire to a life of luxury and filthy lucre. So I told him to hold off on that pacemaker thing until I started to do all those wonderful things that would require me to get a pacemaker. :P

boy, did you do a good job picking your genetic inheritance!

code monkey

Postby code monkey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:The first few times I had the procedure I was totally knocked out. Eventually I learned it was "twilight sleep" where I actually was partially awake, but the sedation included drugs to make me forget. I thought that was pretty cool.
When I moved to Minnesota, the practice here used light sedation so that I was awake and aware of what was going on. That was not fun. Now they have moved on to propofol. I was completely out, thankfully. And apparently I woke up at one point and told the doctors I was having some pretty nice dreams!

wonderful news!!

code monkey

Postby Swift » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:08 am

pp

I have most certainly felt your pain. I have had so many I can't tell you how many I've had. The prep is the worst part.

I'm on a two year cycle now (once every two years); next fall is my next one.
pumpkinpi wrote:Everything looks clear, no pictures to take home though!

Excellent.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 am

Dave Barry and his colonoscopy

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes -- and here I am being kind -- like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Sigma_Orionis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:55 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:The first few times I had the procedure I was totally knocked out. Eventually I learned it was "twilight sleep" where I actually was partially awake, but the sedation included drugs to make me forget. I thought that was pretty cool.

Great News
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Sigma_Orionis
Resident Oppressed Latino

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Swift wrote:Dave Barry and his colonoscopy

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes -- and here I am being kind -- like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

I've never had MoviPrep. My prep involves drinking 64 oz of Gatorade mixed with a whole bottle of Miralax. 8 oz every 15 minutes until it's gone. My kids don't get why I gag when I give them their Gatorade for practices.
Then at 4am is the worst part, drinking 10oz of magnesium citrate. Syrupy salty lemony gross!
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 pm

code monkey wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:

boy, did you do a good job picking your genetic inheritance!

Why thank you very much! It came with some PROS and CONS but overall I am liking the PROS much better. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:23 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Swift wrote:Dave Barry and his colonoscopy

I've never had MoviPrep. My prep involves drinking 64 oz of Gatorade mixed with a whole bottle of Miralax. 8 oz every 15 minutes until it's gone. My kids don't get why I gag when I give them their Gatorade for practices.
Then at 4am is the worst part, drinking 10oz of magnesium citrate. Syrupy salty lemony gross!

On a sudden return to the topic on hand: What type of prep you get seems to vary by region and by how long the GI doctor has been in practice. When I had my last colonoscopy done they were trying out a prep that did not require you to drink a huge volume of liquid. Unfortunately, I was in the control group. :P

I am told that you can get the prep in Vomit Inducing Cherry, Cramp Inspiring Lemon Lime, and Midnight At The Horror Show GoLytely Citrus Flavor.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

PreviousNext

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant