Why can't we all just get along...

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Why can't we all just get along...

Postby Swift » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:16 am

And I don't mean FWIS.

Maybe its just me or some sort of mood I've been lately, but it seems that the amount of confrontation, arguing, polarization, general head-butting in the world has reached new heights.

Facebook, for example (or at least my feed) is just completely filled with posts about politics and cultural arguments, and "isn't this horrible" or "how stupid are these people" or "help, help, I'm being oppressed!". I just want to see some funny cat videos and pictures of your niece's birthday party, but every post is someone fighting with someone or about something.

I am so completely sick of the election already. I can't go as far as to say I don't care who wins, but let's just vote and get it over already. I don't want to put up with 8 more months of the morons yelling at each other like a bunch of toddlers in the playground.

The world is just too much with me...
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Re: Why can't we all just get along...

Postby geonuc » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 am

Obviously we need more photos of what we had for dinner and 'I'm here in this gorgeous place and you're not' posts.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:58 pm

I definitely know what you mean and am also tired of it. I will note though I feel like a lot of this is much more a USA thing than a rest of the world thing (though it exists elsewhere in smaller doses).

I think the big shift in tone is one of "my way or the highway" in many things- that is, the inability to believe that people with the same facts can reach different conclusions, and that this is ok. These days everyone either agrees with you or is the spawn of Satan and/or an ignoramus.

The thing I find interesting in recent months is while this used to be a conservative thing, it has really spilled over to the Democrats so it's impossible to escape.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:03 pm

swift - it's possible to hide a lot of these things without losing touch with friends. As an example, when certain people I know post religious stuff that I don't like, I hide the source of the religious stuff rather than the person's personal posts. Same with certain political stuff.

I hope this helps!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:24 pm

The other thing you can do is stop clicking on the links. If you ever click on the links FB records your "preferences" so you tend to get more of those feeds.
When you get political posts, click on the top right of the post, the little V.
Then select hide post (show fewer posts like this)
That way you get to customize your own page without it driving you crazy.
Clicking like on cat video's will put more up.

I had to do this for a few people. One in particular that put up dozens of posts a day calling all republicans idiots.
I got tired of arguing with him (there are one or two that aren't idiots ;) ) so unfollowed him and started the "see fewer posts like this" process.
Made my experience a lot more pleasurable.

I've put up a few too many Bernie things, but hey, this is the first time I actually see hope for real change in a long while. Its is pretty historic times with two non partisan politicians having a chance to become President. That's like wow for me. What's even more wow is there are still people that haven't heard of him. wtf?
You're welcome to unfollow my feed if you want. I won't get offended. I'll still put up some cat video's and tag you so you can still see them. I promise. :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:36 pm

It is interesting how we all filter different things. I usually scroll past cute cat videos with a “meh”. Grumpy cat on the other hand I usually stop and laugh with/at/about. ;)

I also don’t pay a lot of attention to most of this stuff. I try to stay reasonably informed but I really do ignore most of the political stuff.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant