Pseudoscience will be the death of the Left

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Pseudoscience will be the death of the Left

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 pm

Just saw a Facebook discussion about the dangers of vaccines, showcasing massive willful ignorance of things like herd immunity. It also wandered into a sub-discussion of raw veganism (which is a stupid idea), how a raw natural diet would prevent and cure mental illnesses (it won't), how people with depression should ditch their medications and go vegan (ha ha), how humans used to live much longer (they didn't), etc.

I was unable to comment for obscure Facebook reasons. One of my friends did comment, twice, with well-supported facts... And was ignored. Someone else who I didn't know, who happened to have a degree in public health, did the same... And was dismissed, rudely 'splained at, and eventually likewise ignored.

WHY?!

a) Glomming onto every form of pseudoscience out there is a *stupid* way of protesting the scientific establishment, or whatever the hell the cause might be.

b) The reason you're being compared to global warming deniers is that you are doing the same thing, on an almost fallacy-for-fallacy basis.

c) Anti-vaccine crap has lead to deaths, and communicable diseases are a huge factor in keeping many countries in poverty. Medical pseudoscience is not progressive.

d) Fascists who literally want to kill people I know are saying that, hey, those pansy liberal SJWs are useless because they deny reality, and therefore impede society's functioning in reality and are a danger. You are denying reality, at the cost of society's functioning. You are making the murderous Fascists look demonstrably correct in the public eye. Your thoughtless rebelliousness is enabling violence.

... Also, telling someone with depression that they don't really need their medications is ignorant, arrogant, and frankly a kind of ableism.

Also? Don't tell someone that their statement is "their truth", and then proceed to dismiss it and them. This is insulting and disingenuous. We both know very well which "truth" you consider more valid.

... Okay, yeah. I think that's it.

*seethes*
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Pseudoscience will be the death of the Left

Postby vendic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:07 pm

I once believed that the Internet would bring forth easily available information and our species and planet would benefit from exposure to facts.
Sadly, all it did was prove without doubt that the majority of people are to stupid to know how to research anything.
Now, would you like the red or the blue pill?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Blue, please, and tell that terrorist scumbag Neo that he can get fucked. :P

BTW, I have to mention that the "red pill" phrase has been largely appropriated by bigoted idiots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manosphere

so using it in polite company might not get the response you expect. :shock:
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Swift » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:52 am

vendic wrote:I once believed that the Internet would bring forth easily available information and our species and planet would benefit from exposure to facts.
Sadly, all it did was prove without doubt that the majority of people are to stupid to know how to research anything.
Now, would you like the red or the blue pill?

Yep.

My only disagreement GJ is that I don't think it will be the death of the Left. I guess it is comforting in a weird way that liberals can be as ignorant as conservatives.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:27 am

Had no idea about the red vs blue pill and the macho man scene.
Had no real clue there was a macho man scene really. lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:26 pm

What is occurring is a natural product of the “every opinion is equally valid” school of thought. Essentially, you combine that paradigm with a little tiny bit of science and philosophy and you create a monster that says “Truth is not fixed. Truth is whatever i want it to be”. If I can find an opinion that seems like a fact to support my position then your facts are not valid. Or my facts are equally valid and yours cannot supersede mine.

Now if only I could get it to work with my opinion that gravity doesn’t exist. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Loresinger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:57 pm

You can't cure willful stupidity
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Loresinger wrote:You can't cure willful stupidity

You can. But, the cure is fatal. :twisted:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:38 pm

I don't know about that. Seems to me that evolution favors stupidity. It'll breed regardless of consequence.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:05 pm

vendic wrote:I don't know about that. Seems to me that evolution favors stupidity. It'll breed regardless of consequence.

That's why we should eradicate it using any means necessary. Frankly, stupidity seems to be able to outbreed cockroaches and rabbits. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 am

vendic wrote:I don't know about that. Seems to me that evolution favors stupidity. It'll breed regardless of consequence.

Evolution seems to favor a combination of stupidity and sociopathy. :(
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:43 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

Evolution seems to favor a combination of stupidity and sociopathy. :(

At times. Being very self centered and believing that the universe only exists because you do can result in a very high survival index once you figure out that you can die in this virtual existence. And since there is no belief that anything exists afterwards the average sociopath will hang onto life with a tenacity that is quite alarming at times.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant