please don't let these be their real names

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

please don't let these be their real names

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:59 am

A friend of a friend on Facebook apparently has two young boys named Lestat and Caius.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: please don't let these be their real names

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am

Damn. I mean Caius at least is a historical name if not a typical one these days... I had to look up Lestat and it's apparently from a vampire novel.

Poor kid(s)!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby norm » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Should I have recognized these immediately, or am I already completely out of touch?
When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.
norm

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 pm

No, I had to Google both. :P

As a general rule, I think one should never name a child something if a. you can't imagine yelling it out the back door for ten minutes at the top of your lungs so all the neighbors hear, and b. something their future SO would not want to whisper during pillow talk and/or shout during sex.

I also seriously think with the latest burst of "trendy" names I'm totally just naming my future kids "normal" names like Elanor and Maxwell or what not cause they'll be pretty special for it by default. Yes, y'all can figure out the geeky origins where I got those theoretical future names from pretty quickly. ;)
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:39 pm

I knew lestat was the name of a literary vampire so I had to check what the reference wad for Caius.

He is a character in the Twilight series. That is the worst part of this.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby gethen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 pm

I've been thinking for a while that there must be some indirect correlation between the parents' IQ and the grandiosity/ridiculousness of the names they give their kids. An old neighbor of ours named her twin girls Desiree and Destiny. It's like she wanted them to grow up to be strippers.
gethen

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Wow. I had such boring names planned for the children I ended up not having. You know, stuff like Jake or Derek or Jessica or Samantha. I use these as character names now. Silly me. I need to come up with ridiculous names for my characters, so when I become popular, some moron can name their kid after one of them. :rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

The post subject refers to the fact that I REALLY hope those are her kids' "screen names" for privacy's sake and they actually do have normal names. If that's the case, I applaud her for being clever.
pumpkinpi

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:21 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:A friend of a friend on Facebook apparently has two young boys named Lestat and Caius.

pumpkinpie wrote:I have two little tykes, Buster (a boy) who is 3 3/4 yo and Russter (a girl) who is 1 1/4. MrPi is my hubby but he doesn't post here.

Nope. Not touching this thread. Not me... :P
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 pm

And here Cookie was pissed for YEARS at me for giving her the name that I did, because NO one was named that... until she grew up and realized that there were lots of people named Alida...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Yup, Alida is a pretty common Hungarian name actually. ;)

I've never met anyone with my first name (except on Twitter, hah!), and the French always helpfully tell me it's a very old fashioned one. Personally I can just assure all the parents who do "clever" names that they're setting their children up for years of disappointment in which they never find personalized swag with their names on it (a trauma I have yet to recover from).
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 am

Rommie wrote:Personally I can just assure all the parents who do "clever" names that they're setting their children up for years of disappointment in which they never find personalized swag with their names on it (a trauma I have yet to recover from).

I know what you mean.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 am

Nature based names from my favorite nature geek artist

Though I don't know what's wrong with Tawny Frogmouth. :P
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:36 am

Rommie

Postby gethen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Rommie wrote:Speaking of stupid kids names... http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/20/kim-karda ... est-kanye/

Just reinforces my thoughts about child names and the intelligence of the parents. Sheesh!
gethen

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 pm

I had heard a rumor of a different name (I thing someone on CQ posted about it) - it wasn't Northwest (or is it North West) or any other compass point, but I don't recall it.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Swift wrote:I had heard a rumor of a different name (I thing someone on CQ posted about it) - it wasn't Northwest (or is it North West) or any other compass point, but I don't recall it.
Why are you worrying about this when there are starving children in Africa? :lol:
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:I had heard a rumor of a different name (I thing someone on CQ posted about it) - it wasn't Northwest (or is it North West) or any other compass point, but I don't recall it.
Why are you worrying about this when there are starving children in Africa? :lol:

What me worry?Image

You know, my namesake had a unique solution to this whole starvation thing. :twisted:

Swift

Postby cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Used to have a young lady on the bus named Shevel. At least they gave it an alternate spelling. It's bad enough sounding
like you're named after Chevrolet's low-priced coupe.

I can think of a few others that may be urban legends, but they just sound so possible...but to print 'em here would
set off the NetNanny software, so we'll just have to pass... :cuss:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Swift » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the the netnanny software put FWIS on the naughty list back at version 1.0.

Swift

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant