Fucking Diabetes

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Fucking Diabetes

Postby Tarragon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 am

Fucking Diabetes.

Claimed a old classmate of mine Sunday after almost 8 weeks in a diabetic coma, leaving a husband and two young children behind. But more than that, the world lost a pediatric neurologist who was saving the lives of the most vulnerable among us.

I don't think I've seen her in over 20 years. I remember her, but I can't remember her. I recognize her face and name, after all, we spent ten years together in a small town and smaller school. But I can't for the life of me remember any interaction, even though we must have. It's like that scene in Saving Private Ryan, when he can't remember his brothers. So weird.
Tarragon

Re: Fucking Diabetes

Postby code monkey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 pm

tarragon, i'm so sorry to read of your classmate's death. it's very odd the way someone will make an impression on us or we will on another.

may the bringer of peace bring you peace.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:29 am

Sorry about your classmate, and I completely understand the memory thing.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Tarragon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks.

It was type 1 Diabetes. I forgot to mention. We lost another classmate to T1D many years ago, but that was before Facebook and I didn't find out until years later.

It's not that I don't remember her, I do. Her eyes were bright and her smile warm and friendly, but in the background. Not that she was in the background, she was a cheerleader briefly and in athletics. Though looking through yearbooks there's only a few pages with her name indexed. But our school was fairly small, around 350, my graduating class had 75.

Perhaps it's the way it's affecting the friends I had who were close to her. I could consider it a missed opportunity, but a lot of opportunities were missed growing up, and I don't want to get into that. They're sharing memories, but I can't remember anything specific. No scenes, no conversations, just vague vignettes of her in class, or walking down the hall, on bleachers, at rallies, etc. OR maybe it's just respect for her profession, lamenting the loss of a doctor in her prime who still had research to do and lives to save.

I suppose this is going to happen more as I get older. More losses of people and memories.
Tarragon

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant