BLM

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

BLM

Postby geonuc » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:29 pm

So, I go out this morning to set the hose on one of our trees that apparently needs more water, and to pick up the paper (yes, we get a paper local newspaper). When I turn to go back in, something seems odd, unbalanced, about the front of the house. There's the Spanish/English/Arabic 'we're glad you're our neighbor' sign on the right. On the left, however, nothing.

Some asshole stole our Black Lives Matter sign.

Beyond the obvious violation of our personal property, that pisses me off because of Bend itself. I like Bend and enjoy living here but it's very white. There's not much racial diversity at all. Despite it being a fairly liberal city (but not a liberal county), we have seen exactly zero BLM signs around town, other than our own. There are quite a few signs that profess tolerance and compassion, much like our S/E/A sign, but no mention of BLM.

Earlier this year, my wife mentioned that the landlord of the house across the street - the tenants of which have a hand-written 'one year down, three to go' sign in their window (referring to Trump's term in office) - commented on our BLM sign with the usual bigoted, white response of "don't all lives matter?" Maybe he stole the sign.

Pisses me off.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: BLM

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:24 pm

You might want to lay in a supply of BLM signs. :twisted:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 am

I would be strongly tempted to file a police report. Just because. Maybe it makes the local police blotter and makes people think. Maybe the cops drive by a little more often.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Loresinger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

its like the recent story of a woman who had a large impeach trump sign on her lawn. Town told her to remove it (too big). So I suggested setting up a fund to get her dozens of smaller size signs within code (they never mentioned how many one could have - the devil is in the details). Then she could arrange them like a flag.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby code monkey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 pm

yesterday I saw a 'Hillary for prison 2016' bumper sticker. trivial, I know, but as an indication of mindset it makes me feel ill.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 pm

What amazes me about that mindset is people still talking about it. Like, good God, she's a private citizen who so far as I can tell didn't do much worse than decide to run for president, and was cleared by multiple investigations. By this point that hangup is not healthy no matter how you slice it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant