Transphobia: The Movie

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Transphobia: The Movie

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Well IDK who thought this was a good idea in 2020 but I hope it flops:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/10/21430 ... nce-vaughn

Just what we need right now, a movie about a male serial killer walking around in in a woman's body and fooling people so he can kill them. :roll: And as if the plot isn't sketchy enough, the ad poster shows a pretty young woman shaving her face with a knife. Yeah, totally not leaning on any bigoted tropes there. No way, not one bit. Totally.

I guess if we're bringing back Pokemon, bucket hats, and all the other early 2000s things, we have to also get bigoted slasher films as part of the deal?
lady_*nix

Re: Transphobia: The Movie

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:18 pm

I have never totally understood the appeal of slasher movies. But, as long as they make money they are going to do every type of trope and stereotype they can with them.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: Transphobia: The Movie

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:21 am

Yeah I've never understood the appeal either, and I get that, just... IDK it gets exhausting. The idea that we're deceptive/predators/sociopaths by default gets a lot of trans people, especially Black trans people, killed. And even the ones like me who are relatively protected, we get a lot of medical gatekeeping, discrimination in public spaces, harassment... In part because the image of us people see in media is that we're dangerous perverts, so they assume that's realistic and treat us as such. A lot like with antisemitism really, bigoted media and public anger feed each other in a vicious circle, and people get hurt and killed as a result.

Basically what I'm saying is, this is bullshit, and studios have a responsibility to put harm reduction over profit motive sometimes. "With great power comes great responsibility" and all that.

But yeah I know, good luck with that in our modern unregulated cyberpunk hellscape.
lady_*nix

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant