Fleas

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Fleas

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 am

We's got them. I think it has been about a week and a half. I have no idea how we got them; both cats are indoor cats. For all I know, one hitched a ride on me.

Both cats are now on flea stuff and seem a lot better. Deb and I both have bites on our legs for the most part (and mostly ankles), so I suspect they are in the carpets some place. We spent all day Saturday vacuum, cleaning, laundry, spraying. Today we had the rugs professionally cleaned.

The problem is we don't know where they might be and if we got them all and we are just scratching the old bites, or they are still around, even in one spot, and are ready to spread again. I've never had to deal with them and have no experience. They are driving me crazy (or more crazy); I'm really kind of rattled.

I think Deb is going to touch base with a couple of exterminators tomorrow; sure I'm worried the cure might be worse than the disease, but the other choice might be to burn the house down with me inside.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Re: Fleas

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 am

Swift wrote:We's got them. I think it has been about a week and a half. I have no idea how we got them; both cats are indoor cats. For all I know, one hitched a ride on me.

Both cats are now on flea stuff and seem a lot better. Deb and I both have bites on our legs for the most part (and mostly ankles), so I suspect they are in the carpets some place. We spent all day Saturday vacuum, cleaning, laundry, spraying. Today we had the rugs professionally cleaned.

The problem is we don't know where they might be and if we got them all and we are just scratching the old bites, or they are still around, even in one spot, and are ready to spread again. I've never had to deal with them and have no experience. They are driving me crazy (or more crazy); I'm really kind of rattled.

I think Deb is going to touch base with a couple of exterminators tomorrow; sure I'm worried the cure might be worse than the disease, but the other choice might be to burn the house down with me inside.

I can only think of one little alteration to your solution. Don't be in the house when you burn it down. :P

I suspect that you have done everything that you should. You might try this remedy. I keep hearing about it for fleas, ants, and etc. OTOH an exterminator may be able to come up with a non-toxic way to rid you of the fleas.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 am

SciFiFisher wrote:I suspect that you have done everything that you should. You might try this remedy. I keep hearing about it for fleas, ants, and etc. OTOH an exterminator may be able to come up with a non-toxic way to rid you of the fleas.

Actually, that is one of the things we have tried.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:03 am

Swift wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:I suspect that you have done everything that you should. You might try this remedy. I keep hearing about it for fleas, ants, and etc. OTOH an exterminator may be able to come up with a non-toxic way to rid you of the fleas.

Actually, that is one of the things we have tried.

The challenge with "natural" remedies is that sometimes they are slower. The faster ones are usually more toxic. Life is full of trade offs. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:43 am

I think you'll be able to rid yourself of the critters with an exterminator. While troublesome, fleas aren't that difficult to kill. You may have to move out of the house while the deed is done, though.

I've had success with repeated bug bombs, although that was a number of years ago. Weaponry has evolved since then, I'm sure.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 am

Ugh, sorry. :(

Our cat had fleas when he was little but luckily they never really spread to us. He spent the rest of his days with a flea collar in season.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Do you have any Tractor Supplies where you live? If so, get Country Vet. It's made of a substance that kills fleas and every other bug but it doesn't harm humans or pets. You set up the sprayers, and every 15 minutes, it will spray into the air. This will kill the fleas as well as any hatching eggs.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:21 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:Do you have any Tractor Supplies where you live? If so, get Country Vet. It's made of a substance that kills fleas and every other bug but it doesn't harm humans or pets. You set up the sprayers, and every 15 minutes, it will spray into the air. This will kill the fleas as well as any hatching eggs.

Yeah, we do, though not real close. I might have to check that out.

Swift

Postby gethen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Flea eggs can lie dormant in carpets and furniture for up to two weeks, so after your initial treatment, you probably will want to retreat in a couple of weeks, unless the treatment you used specifically says it will kill the eggs as well. OTOH, those bomb things work pretty well, if you can vacate your house for several hours, and take pets with you.
gethen

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Kill em. KILL EM ALL!!!!
FZR1KG

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant