The unpleasant truth about Linux

The unpleasant truth about Linux

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 am

is that outside of a very small set of video cards, graphics stability and performance are horribly, brutally bad. I don't mean bad as in "Wahh my 3D isn't working, I can't play Doom 3." I mean bad as in "consistently fails to deliver a usable 2D desktop so you can get work done." That bad. My current desktop machine simply cannot get shit done with Linux on it, full stop. And I can't use Windows ATM, so the desktop is basically relegated to being an expensive paperweight.

Yeah, putting usable hardware to waste. Really hip and progressive, that. :roll:

BTW this is not a corner case. I have been seeing a lot of slow, crashy Linux desktops lately... The situation seems to have gotten hugely worse since the introduction of kernel modesetting drivers for most video cards. The only things working properly now are laptops with crappy Intel GPUs, which are inadequate for supporting "modern" desktop environments that need 3D

And to think that geeks wonder why nobody in the desktop world bothers with this total junk OS. SMN.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: The unpleasant truth about Linux

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:30 am

If it can't play Doom, its doomed.
FZR1KG

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff