3D printer

3D printer

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:40 am

Got the thing to work properly now.
Well, to the stage I can print parts but I haven't optimized the hardware so it's a little rough and slow.
Though I'm pretty fussy I guess since my rough is better than the supplied printed parts that came with the printer.
Yes, I printed out spares. Makes no sense not to. :D

Now I'm fine tuning the hinges for the boat.
I made a crappy design but it's strong for the application.
Stronger than what was supplied.

Using 3D software to make things on the printer is interesting.
I'm using openscad, it's more like programming than 3D CAD.
The bonus is it's easy to make changes via parameters.

And yes, there is a huge list of things I would do differently if I made a 3D printer. LOTS.
FZR1KG

Re: 3D printer

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

Gee, if only you had some sort of instrument where you could design and print out an instrument to be exactly as you wanted it to be. :P

I rather like the idea of 3D printers but can't really think of much I'd do with one if I had it. I've run into a few people around town who show off their various trinkets and the like though (and there's a 3D printer shop in town too- I think most major metro areas now have one) but can't think of anything I really want to make with one as yet. Well maybe except for the guy who told me he could print me glow-in-the-dark Legos, maybe I should seek out his card and give him a call.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby FZR1KG » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 pm

It's pretty easy for me finding things to print.
I needed a cap for the car's window washer bottle.
Printed it.
The car's tailgate door handle broke, $35 part.
Printed it.
Printed Dalek cookie cutters. Have to make a Tardis one. These are for the wife.
The boat needs hinges, window curtain rod holders, spacers, hooks etc.
Basement door needs shimming with angles. Hard to do normally.

If you have anything you need to maintain you have plenty of uses for them.
House, lawnmower, car, boat, tools and the printer itself is a tool that needs maintenance.

I guess most people think of them as art type things. If you look at it from the repairs angle it becomes very handy and saves money in the long run.
Those hinges for the boat are about $12 per pair (in plastic) and I can't find the right hole pattern so have to fiberglass the old ones before putting in the new ones.
Stainless steel is too cost prohibitive to use at about $30-50 a pair.
If I print them I get to make the same hole pattern so save that step plus the cost is down to about 60 cents each.
I need 8 pairs so there's a nice saving.

The table latch on the boat is a $70 part. It becomes a $1 part printed.

The boat motor needs a new steering coupling system.
Instead of cable I'll be doing it in poly-carbonate rod and ball joints. To manufacture this the old way would cost almost as much as the printer. This way I print it and get spares for less than a few dollars.
Motor needs an offset plate. They are about $40, this will cost about $10 to print.

Then there are tools I need for electronics. Plastic screw drivers for tuning etc.

I have more things to print than I have rolls of filament right now and I have 2kg of that.

For me its a fantastic tool. I went about designing one about 12 years ago but the cost and effort was too much to be practical.
Now with open source software and cheap hardware it's viable and I didn't have to do all the work! :D
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:19 pm

FZR1KG wrote:Printed Dalek cookie cutters. Have to make a Tardis one. These are for the wife.
She will need to share!
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:09 am

brite wrote:
FZR1KG wrote:Printed Dalek cookie cutters. Have to make a Tardis one. These are for the wife.
She will need to share!

You want one?
The dalek or the tardis or both?
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 am

Here is the one I printed for the wife: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37766/#files

You can search for others that you might prefer.
Just read the comments as some people can't design sturdy models.
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:25 am

FZR1KG wrote:Here is the one I printed for the wife: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37766/#files

You can search for others that you might prefer.
Just read the comments as some people can't design sturdy models.

I would LOVE them...
OH! And they have a Sonic screwdiver too... LOL Thought that was cute! You are having too much fun with this thing! When are y'all coming out??
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 am

Coming out?
I'm straight. You know that. :P

Just pick what you want, I'll send them your way.
On the condition that you send some cookies our way once you use the cookie cutters. :D
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:29 am

FZR1KG wrote:Coming out?
I'm straight. You know that. :P

Just pick what you want, I'll send them your way.
On the condition that you send some cookies our way once you use the cookie cutters. :D

You may have to wrestle the 4 y/o for the cookies. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 am

That can be arranged. :P
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:15 am

FZR1KG wrote:If you have anything you need to maintain you have plenty of uses for them.
House, lawnmower, car, boat, tools and the printer itself is a tool that needs maintenance.

Ah, you see FZ, here is the difference between you and me: don't really have any of these things. Remember how I hate owning stuff? ;)

I mean I have an apartment of course, but it's a furnished apartment and if it's more trouble than tightening a screw or changing a light bulb it's not my problem. Only thing I've ever had to do maintenance on is my bike, but that's never been for parts except for battery lights dying (which I can't exactly print). And Sterrestof the little boat's maintenance has been pretty minimal too- had to replace a piece of rotting wood, but have a carpenter friend who cut us the right shape for free (and would have been too big for a 3D printer anyway).

So yes, for me it'd be more an arts and crafts kind of project but I don't want to have a bunch of knick-nacks just to have them.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 pm

I assume your printer could make these:

Can it make any other letters? :P
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff