Work is going to suck more by 2022

Work is going to suck more by 2022

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 pm

"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Work is going to suck more by 2022

Postby Swift » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 pm

This must be "stuff" (I don't see it as Science or Tech), but I digress.

Here are their predictions from the article:
- Companies will monitor employees like lab rats
- Performance will be computed like an SAT score
- Corporate indoctrination (aka brainwashing) will intensify
- Contract employees will displace full-timers
- Specialized skills will continue to bring top dollar
- Workers with commonplace skills will struggle

I would say that is almost all exactly correct and isn't even much of stretch from the current workplace.

Take the first item (monitor employees). As far as I know I don't have electrodes in me or a drone following me around. But as part of our "Wellness program", I am asked to report all kinds of things, like what I eat and how much exercise I do, and more and more of that isn't taken by my word, but I have to show proof (like records of my gym visits). In exchange for that, I get a $500 credit toward the amount I have to pay toward my health insurance. I am free to opt out, but that freedom will cost me $500 out of my pocket.

The Corporate Indoctrination has gone on for years. It might intensify (though I'm doubting to the point of waterboarding), but none of us drones take any of it seriously now, and I don't see that changing. We'll continue to put the right buzzwords in our PowerPoint presentations, and then laugh at them behind their backs.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Re: Work is going to suck more by 2022

Postby Loresinger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 pm

tongue in cheek reply: the fact that I will still have to work even though close to purported retirement.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff