Scott Kelly

Scott Kelly

Postby Thumper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Although I don't think I would have wanted to be him Tuesday and yesterday, what an amazing adventure for an amazing man. A great show about his year in space on PBS last night. I don't know how they did it, but they were able to put footage of the landing and his first few moments back on Earth into the end of the show. Talk about a late night in the editing booth.
Reentry in a Soyuz is like going over Niagara falls in a barrel on fire. When you realize you're still alive, it's the most fun and thrilling thing you've ever done.

Part of that quote can be attributed to astronaut Ron Garan. But the whole quote played behind the view of Kelly's landing capsule descending above the clouds under it's big orange and white parachute. What I find interesting is almost every astronaut that goes up, is profoundly affected by the experience: the frailty of Earth; the thin boundary where life can exist, the complete lack of visible political borders. Kelly's Russian partner, Mikhail Kornienko, said, "You put our two presidents in a capsule and send them up for a couple weeks, I bet alot of problems get solved."
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Scott Kelly

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Soyuz re-entry would scare the crap out of me.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff