Telescopes

Telescopes

Postby vendic » Mon May 15, 2017 1:56 am

Being bored today I was looking at telescopes.
All I can say is that since the last time I bought one, over 12 years ago, they have improved greatly in quality and function and dropped greatly in price.
wow.
80mm APO's of good quality for around $600.
Goto scopes under $400
OTA Mak's 150mm for about $300.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Telescopes

Postby Parrothead » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Yeah, I noticed the same. I bought my scope 15-16 years ago. A non-computerized SCT, 8"LX10. I've been looking /researching binos. A national chain of stores has Celestron Cavalry 17x50 binos listed at $69. Specs are similar to the Skymaster series, just been trying to find if the Cavalry line are suitable for astro viewing. Have noticed a number of complaints about collimation issues with Celestron binos, so just looking at other options, though the $69 price is tempting, plus can at least take a look at the product in-store, before purchasing.

I did have my scope out last night. Definately been too long, since having it out. Was setting up at twilight, the viewfinder came completely loose and had a heck of a time getting it aligned. Skies were fairly clear, but viewing conditions weren't very favourable. The trees around here have grown, much of my views are getting blocked. Some trimming/topping may be required. ETA: In hindsight, I'm wondering why I just didn't use my Telrad. LOL! :oops:
Parrothead

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff