Gearheads

Gearheads

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Figured we should have a thread devoted to this.

In another thread we were discussing how modern cars are, well, here is a perfect example: http://www.cal-vantools.com/p-17-ford-t ... actor.aspx

Yes, they are building kits now to extract broken spark plugs for a Ford triton. Makes one wonder just how often this happens to make a kit specific for this one task. very sad state of affairs.

On the other hand, I'd love this tool, assuming that it rotates. it would have been really handy the other day.
Cut a job down from about 2 1/2 hours to about an hour.
FZR1KG

Re: Gearheads

Postby geonuc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 pm

And that's what I liked about my 240Z - it was a basic, solid, straightforward car. Easy to work on and awesome on the road. I rebuilt the engine, replaced the 4-speed transmission with a 5-speed, put in electronic ignition. I could actually work on and balance the stock twin carbs, although I eventually replaced them with twin, dual-throat Webers. And I painted it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:24 pm

They were good solid cars.
Even the old datsun 180B was impressive.
Had twin SU carbs.
Put out a lot of power for a little engine.

The Old cortina 2 litre was pretty good too.
Twin Weber carbs and it would fly.
The six cylinder 250 was the only car probationary drivers couldn't drive that was a six cylinder due to power to weight ratio.
A "p plater"* could drive a six Porsche but not the Cortina with a 250.
Having lined up a few Porsches I know why.
Ah the good old days. Overtaking Porsches that were doing 180 like they were standing still.

All were easy to work on.

*For US drivers, the first three years one has a license are probationary years in Oz.
You have to by law display a "P" plate to signify you were learning still.

I was such a hoon when I was younger.
Then I got into the really big power to weight ratio's and started riding bikes.
About then I realised how ignorant drivers are.
So here's me in full one piece race leathers on a new 1000cc sports bike and a guy in a V8 holden wants to race me. It was red. They are always red. Why is that?
Had the bike up on one wheel about an inch or two off the ground merging on the freeway then at about 120 put it into second. Front still in the air.
Car driver barely turned onto the entrance ramp while I was merging on the freeway overtaking cars.
Now that was fun. 0-100 in under 3 seconds. 180 in 5 and a bit.
Yeah, it was faster 100-200 than 0-100. Its the controlled clutch take off that hinders the standing starts and its desire to flip you on your ass if you pull back too hard too fast in first.
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 pm

For all the gearheads that hate Ethanol based fuel (for good reasons), here is a list for the USA and Canada where you can buy ethanol free fuel.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Just go to map and get locations near you for pure fuel.

For those that don't know, ethanol based fuel lowers your economy, can damage certain motors, usually power equipment such as lawn mowers chain saws as well as older cars.
It also has a very limited shelf life compared to pure fuel, is far more hygroscopic and can separate precipitating both ethanol and water into your fuel tank.

For the record, no car manufacturer guarantees anything over E10 in their cars (except the Flex-fuel vehicles) and you may also ruin your warranty if you use higher percentages of ethanol.
There are also companies putting more ethanol in than listed to make some extra money.

User beware. American corn lobbying at its finest here.

Why all this?
Well, the Dodge after all the fixes started running like shit again after I fueled it up.
So I started wondering what's going on.
Now I know.
My 2006 Dodge was not designed for ethanol, neither was the 2001 Rodeo and some fuel stations have dubious fuel quality.
Our local one is questionable and that's where I fueled up.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:27 pm

1966 Ford Fairlane 500. It had an inline 6 cylinder motor. There was enough room in the engine compartment that you could probably have put a second engine in there. :P
There pretty much wasn't anything you couldn't fix a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, a hammer, baling wire, and duct tape.

I even used that car to pull fence posts with. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff