Windows 10

Windows 10

Postby hap » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:14 am

So, just finished upgrading my laptop to Windows 10. Gonna leave the desktop and my wife's laptop on 8.1 for now, just to see how many issues I have with my laptop. Anyone else take the plunge? My dad has been part of the beta program from the beginning, and has had his issues, but overall seems pretty satisfied. I am currently using their new Edge browser, just to try it out. I will most likely stick with Chrome for the majority of my surfing, especially for school, since the online portal that they use works best with that browser (for now, anyway...).
hap

Re: Windows 10

Postby brite » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:06 am

Not yet... I think that I will be upgrading the desktop in the next few days, since the laptop is a Mac...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Swift » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 pm

I'm waiting for reviews. I'm curious to hear what you think Hap.

My wife's laptop is running 8.1; I kind of hate it, but she seems to like it or not care that much, so I may just let it be.

My old desktop is running XP still. I'm not particularly worried about the lack of updates and I run several kinds of security stuff. But there is increasingly a problem with other programs not supporting XP. The bigger problem is that the computer is just getting old and probably needs to be replaced, but I'd rather not spend the money now. When I replace it, I'll probably go with 10.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby squ1d » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 am

I did it on my new desktop. It has been 100% fine so far, but I have heard horror stories from others.
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:10 am

Well I have been using WIN10 for about a month now. So far it was pretty smooth. My only complaint is that the new browser is totally incompatible with... well just about everything. It won't allow "add ons" of any kind including my password minder software. So, I pretty much have defaulted back to Internet Exploder. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:17 pm

I've had some issues.
The start button won't work, many other things also fail.
No real solution other than to open another account, which I did and everything worked but then I have to migrate all the stuff from the old account to the new account and it all boils down to a lot of wasted time.
I will add that W10 rarely chews up disk I/O to the point where the computer just stops for several minutes allowing no user response while the disk is at 100% activity. W8.1 was rampant with that on my laptop.
So way better than W8.1 from that pov.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby hap » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:26 pm

So I have been running 10 on both mine and the wife's laptops. So far so good, the only issue I have with it are the forced automatic updates. There have been times I have turned on the computer only to boot to a black screen for several minutes while updates are being applied. At first I didn't realize what was going on, and would reboot before the updates were finished, since there was no indication that they were being applied. I finally waited one day and after windows finally loaded I saw the message that new updates were applied and the little dim light bulb in my head glowed for a second. I still avoid the Edge browser like the plague.
hap

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff