Farewell Cassini

Farewell Cassini

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Farewell Cassini

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Heard a nice story on NPR earlier this week. Some of the project engineers for Cassini have been working on it for 15, 25, more than 30 years! An entire career, one project. Although the mission was more successful than anticipated, many of these people are still very sad. Ont talked about going through all the phases of grief and mourning.
I get it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 pm

I watched the end of mission this morning. That's one of my favorite things to do--to watch the control room at a space agency during a mission's important moments. Recently I watched the New Horizons flyby (ok, that's not really recent) and the Philae landing/bouncing on the comet. It's so inspiring to watch engineers and scientists who are so passionate about what they do, letting us in on these intimate moments.

It was playing while the kids were getting ready for school and so I had them watch and told them how exciting it was. That's what's going to inspire them to go into something they love!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Glad you got to share with the kids. I watched as well. Don't tell my boss.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I watched and was sad. I will miss Cassini.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:14 am

I thought it was very fascinating that they decided to crash Cassini into Saturn in order to avoid the (very small) chance that it might crash into one of the moons and contaminate it with earth microbes.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am

Yeah, they are really pretty strict on trying to avoid contaminating places. Wish we could be a little more strict around here. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Thumper wrote:Yeah, they are really pretty strict on trying to avoid contaminating places. Wish we could be a little more strict around here. ;)

It would be nice if we treated our home a bit better.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 am

Watched a special on Discovery, Friday evening. An hour long show "Saturn: Inside The Rings", dedicated to the Cassini mission, including the final moments from Friday morning and the emotions of team scientists and engineers at JPL. Also mentioned the ideas for future missions being developed from info gained from Cassini/Huygens.
Parrothead

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff