PSA PSA PSA

PSA PSA PSA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

I don't usually do these type of things but...

DID YOU GET YOUR FLU SHOT YET? :P

Seriously, everyone should get one unless there is a valid medical reason for not getting one.

The flu doesn't care how good your immune system is or how healthy you are. If you catch the wrong one it can kill even healthy people.

This PSA or Public Service Announcement was brought to you by me. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: PSA PSA PSA

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I don't usually do these type of things but...

Seriously, everyone should get one unless there is a valid medical reason for not getting one.

The flu doesn't care how good your immune system is or how healthy you are. If you catch the wrong one it can kill even healthy people.

I read that one problem is that if you get it too early it could wear off by jan/feb when flu season is in full swing. Do you know anything about that? I already got mine, and I want to have my kids get theirs when it will best keep them safe.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby code monkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:19 pm

funny, but I saw psa and thought of something quite different. so in the spirit of public service announcements, i'll extend yours, fisher, by urging all to be up-to-date on *all* innoculations and tests. just in case anyone's wondering, the guys were. however, no test could have predicted Elliot's death and Michael was hit by an especially nasty, aggressive strain. so get it done!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:

I read that one problem is that if you get it too early it could wear off by jan/feb when flu season is in full swing. Do you know anything about that? I already got mine, and I want to have my kids get theirs when it will best keep them safe.

The short answer is that " it depends on the person". In general, the vaccine will last for most people for the entire season. The latest you want to vaccinate is probably in October. The vaccine needs about two weeks to reach peak efficacy. Flu "season" runs from around November to March depending on where you live and what vectors you have transmitting the disease.

There is research that indicates people with compromised immune systems, older people (65+), and highly vulnerable populations benefit from a stronger vaccine or having two flu vaccines per year. The CDC has some good information about the effectiveness of the vaccine. About halfway down is the information about children.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

The short answer is that " it depends on the person". In general, the vaccine will last for most people for the entire season. The latest you want to vaccinate is probably in October. The vaccine needs about two weeks to reach peak efficacy. Flu "season" runs from around November to March depending on where you live and what vectors you have transmitting the disease.

There is research that indicates people with compromised immune systems, older people (65+), and highly vulnerable populations benefit from a stronger vaccine or having two flu vaccines per year. The CDC has some good information about the effectiveness of the vaccine. About halfway down is the information about children.

Thanks!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm

I wanted the high dose vaccine but the pharmacist wouldn't give it to me. Not old enough. It's for those 65 and older and - I thought - those with compromised immune systems, which includes me. Still, I happy to have that done.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:18 am

geonuc wrote:I wanted the high dose vaccine but the pharmacist wouldn't give it to me. Not old enough. It's for those 65 and older and - I thought - those with compromised immune systems, which includes me. Still, I happy to have that done.

:wave:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

Thanks!

You are welcome!
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:05 am

geonuc wrote:I wanted the high dose vaccine but the pharmacist wouldn't give it to me. Not old enough. It's for those 65 and older and - I thought - those with compromised immune systems, which includes me. Still, I happy to have that done.

If you wanted the high dose vaccine due to a compromised immune system you probably need to see your primary care doctor and have him prescribe it. OTOH, there is nothing that says you can't get another standard dose vaccination from a different pharmacy, the health department, or your doctor. It would probably give you a boost similar to the high dose version.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:45 pm

I hear so much conflicting information about the flu vaccine. It's the only vaccine of all the vaccines that are out there, that I don't trust.

Basically, the whole idea of guessing what flu strains are going to come out this year and then getting a vaccine based on a guess is what bothers me.

I make Mom get one every year, because of her age, but...

Can someone explain this to me again without yelling at me, being condescending or acting like I'm putting everyone with a compromised immune system at risk just because I'm confused about this one vaccine?

Didn't do it for the last two years because we were literally hardly ever around people. But now, with my husband working in a factory, crazy long hours and pushing 55, if he needs to get it, I will insist, but I need to know exactly how this particular vaccine works. I just can't wrap my mind around a yearly vaccine.

Please don't yell at me and call me a denier or a conspiracy theorist or anything else negative. Just explain it or point me in the direction of a good explanation.

Thanks.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:30 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I hear so much conflicting information about the flu vaccine. It's the only vaccine of all the vaccines that are out there, that I don't trust.

Basically, the whole idea of guessing what flu strains are going to come out this year and then getting a vaccine based on a guess is what bothers me.

I make Mom get one every year, because of her age, but...

Can someone explain this to me again without yelling at me, being condescending or acting like I'm putting everyone with a compromised immune system at risk just because I'm confused about this one vaccine?

Didn't do it for the last two years because we were literally hardly ever around people. But now, with my husband working in a factory, crazy long hours and pushing 55, if he needs to get it, I will insist, but I need to know exactly how this particular vaccine works. I just can't wrap my mind around a yearly vaccine.

Please don't yell at me and call me a denier or a conspiracy theorist or anything else negative. Just explain it or point me in the direction of a good explanation.

Thanks.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm

On average, if they "guess" right the flu shot can be very effective. If they "guess" wrong it can be mildly effective.

There are a lot of reasons why getting the flu shot makes sense. if your main hang up is that they are "guessing" which flu strain to target maybe if you think of it as a pretty refined disease surveillance process that targets the right strains of the flu most years it would help you understand that calling it a guess is inaccurate. And even on the years when they are less accurate the effectiveness is usually at least 40%. Which means that if you get the flu shot on a less effective year you still buy yourself a 40% chance that you won't get the flu.

The challenge with the predictive analysis of the flu is that there is always the chance that the one they didn't predict will be the one that decides to be the dominant strain this year. And the flu virus itself is constantly adapting and changing from year to year. It mutates so rapidly that we literally have to change the vaccine every year.

And the one best reason for getting the flu vaccine and getting better odds that you won't catch it is that even very healthy people can die from it. It is one of those diseases that can be very virulent and deadly very unexpectedly. So... please get your flu shot. I would hate to win the debate because you were too sick to keep debating. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm no medical professional, so Fisher can probably say this better, but there is also very little risk associated with the vaccine. So the benefit even in years where the target strains aren't quite correct vastly outweighs the risk.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks for the explanations. It makes more sense now. Before, it seemed like a weather forecast, and we ALL know how accurate those are. Guess actually would be a better word for the predictions on daily temperatures. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:51 am

geonuc wrote:I'm no medical professional, so Fisher can probably say this better, but there is also very little risk associated with the vaccine. So the benefit even in years where the target strains aren't quite correct vastly outweighs the risk.

I couldn’t have said it better. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff