The Theory of Everything

The Theory of Everything

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm

We watched the Dr. Stephen Hawking biopic Sunday night. For several reasons I thought it was terribly sad. I know it's a story of the triumph of the human spirit. But watching him deteriorate, watching their marriage deteriorate. It just struck me as incredibly sad. Maybe it's having friends and relatives with Parkinson's and MS, watching the movie was a bit terrifying. And I couldn't understand why they were living in a two story house and he had to crawl up the stairs, until I thought about my father in law and his aversion to wheelchairs. I get it. I can certainly see why Redmayne got the oscar. It was a brilliant performance that sometimes left me believing I was actually watching Hawking. And near the end of the movie, Redmayne had to convey all of his acting and emotion and message with the quiver of his lip and the blink of his eye.

Good movie, I liked it. It just made me melancholy. But I was melancholy already, I guess.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: The Theory of Everything

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

I think I'll pass on that one. Sounds way too depressing.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:32 pm

I may give it a go sometime when I am excessively cheerful and need to be reeled in. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:10 pm

I don't think it was necessarily supposed to be a "sad" movie. It just made me sad, as I have some baggage there. I mean he was given two years to live at his diagnosis, lived 50 some more years and made some of the greatest discoveries in physics. I may have fixated on the sad parts.

(By "may have" I mean "totally" ;) )
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm

I remember watching it with my family, and my brother was incredibly disturbed by it too. Said outright that if he ever got to that point to just let him pass on.

We had an interesting conversation about it because, of course, just because that was my brother's opinion about what makes life worth living, it wasn't Hawking's.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Certainly not. And I just realized I goobed. I meant to put this in Lights, Camera, Comments. But I guess it fits here a little bit as well.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff