Shirley Temple RIP

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Shirley Temple RIP

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm

I am surely not the only one amazed to hear she was still alive. Also most people don't realize it, but she did a helluva lot more than most people do after her child star days as a politician/ambassador.

Anyway, dunno about y'all but I'm gonna have Good Ship Lollipop stuck in my head for the rest of the day...
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Shirley Temple RIP

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:11 pm

I was thinking about her just the other day.
Certainly was more than just a child actor.
FZR1KG

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Rommie wrote:I am surely not the only one amazed to hear she was still alive.

I didn't think she was alive any more.

I can't say I'm particularly broken up by this. I know about the stuff she did as an adult, and it wasn't a big plus for me, as it was politics on the other side of the fence from me (she was a big supporter of Nixon, for example). I don't hate her for it, but I'm not sending flowers either.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm

She was a good example of someone who decided to do something with her life after her childhood star days. She did try to break into the adult movie starlet roles but the audience just didn't seem to want her as an adult. Maybe they wanted to always remember her as the impish waif who charmed them with her dimples and her songs.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:58 am

Not surprised- maybe if she'd changed her name she could've gotten away with it, but takes a certain sort of character to say "I'm done" and move on.

Also I was kinda curious about the various stars I remember from my childhood movies, and holy crap, Dick van Dyke is still alive too. I somehow was not expecting that.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Just because someone happens to be a little older than you, doesn't mean that they are probably dead. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah but in his case he's 88 years old, so I think I'm allowed to be a little surprised. ;)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Diane Rehm is replaying an interview from the '80s with Shirley Temple Black. She's charming. Diane was advertising the rebroadcast over the last week, saying how much she enjoyed Ms. Black. And if Diane likes her, I should probably take a look. One of the interesting things is Diane currently suffers from spasmodic dysphonia, and has great trouble sometimes speaking. This interview happened before that occured and before I ever tuned in, so her voice and cadence are very different.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 am

Diane Rehm is one of those people that every time I hear her on NPR my initial response is "she is still broadcasting?" I swear she must be around 90 years old by now.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:40 pm

And unfortunately she sounds like she's 105.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby gethen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm

I was never a Shirley Temple fan because about a million years ago in grade school a teacher told us a story about waiting outside a theater to get her autograph and watching her throw a colossal temper tantrum in front of a few dozen adoring fans. After that I could never watch her movies without imagining that she was just being cute for the camera but was actually just a little brat. I know, makes no sense, but I was about 8 at the time so it doesn't have to make sense.
gethen

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Remind me to never upset you gethen! lol
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Diane Rehm is apparently 77 years old.

I also think she's an interesting benchmark in my generation to tell when someone starts listening to NPR regularly. Inevitably people ask why that old woman with the awful voice on in the mornings was given a radio show (yes, I know she was much better before, but that was a pretty long time ago).
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 am

Rommie wrote:Diane Rehm is apparently 77 years old.

I also think she's an interesting benchmark in my generation to tell when someone starts listening to NPR regularly. Inevitably people ask why that old woman with the awful voice on in the mornings was given a radio show (yes, I know she was much better before, but that was a pretty long time ago).

She probably is still getting paid close to what she started at 40 years ago. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby brite » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
Rommie wrote:Diane Rehm is apparently 77 years old.

She probably is still getting paid close to what she started at 40 years ago. :lol:

What have I told you about posting without supervision??
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments