Independence Day Resurgence

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Independence Day Resurgence

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:31 pm

I think he was wondering how you would get a cell phone signal 500 miles from the nearest land.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Once we head out, there will be no service. It's only while we're in Florida.
None of us see the pint of buying a satellite system for a boat to watch TV and movies when we're sailing or meant to be checking out the islands of the Caribbean or Pacific.
There is also no service that I know of that transmits out there (the Pacific) since they use geostationary satellites and they would have no one to serve. Maybe as we get closer to some larger islands they have feeds but it's not worth the effort.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51 pm

vendic wrote:Once we head out, there will be no service. It's only while we're in Florida.
None of us see the pint of buying a satellite system for a boat to watch TV and movies when we're sailing or meant to be checking out the islands of the Caribbean or Pacific.
There is also no service that I know of that transmits out there (the Pacific) since they use geostationary satellites and they would have no one to serve. Maybe as we get closer to some larger islands they have feeds but it's not worth the effort.

Not that I'm trying to talk you into it but there are services that provide satellite internet access essentially anywhere. It would probably cost an arm and a leg to watch a Netflix show, though.

Are you taking DVDs?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:19 pm

geonuc wrote:Are you taking DVDs?

Absolutely! Along with some BluRays. Mostly TV series.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Oh - and we'll also be downloading some movies directly onto our computers, when I figure out how. The UltraViolet service apparently allows this. These are movies we've purchased. I'm not talking about illegal downloading.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:39 am

geonuc wrote:Not that I'm trying to talk you into it but there are services that provide satellite internet access essentially anywhere. It would probably cost an arm and a leg to watch a Netflix show, though.

There is the internet via satellite phone but the bandwidth and cost is not suitable for streaming.
At least that was the case the last time I checked, back in 2013.

We can get satellite internet around the mainland USA but further out it's very limited.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 am

vendic wrote:
geonuc wrote:Not that I'm trying to talk you into it but there are services that provide satellite internet access essentially anywhere. It would probably cost an arm and a leg to watch a Netflix show, though.

There is the internet via satellite phone but the bandwidth and cost is not suitable for streaming.
At least that was the case the last time I checked, back in 2013.

We can get satellite internet around the mainland USA but further out it's very limited.

Let's just say, the day we spend the amount of money required to stream videos in the ocean, we will have been able to afford a bigger boat. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Iky and I have always wanted enough money to buy a ship -- a nice one and hire all our friends to help man it then spend the rest of our lives traveling from beach to beach
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Previous

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments