Small differences

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Small differences

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Just a slightly callous observation...

Trent Reznor singing "Hurt":

:wsv:

Johnny Cash singing "Hurt":

teary-eyed-emoticon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Small differences

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:43 pm

As in they are very similar? I suppose I could be *Not Lazy* and listen to both to find out for myself. But, I might not experience it the same way your emoji did. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:47 pm

I didn't think it would work, Cash covering the NiN hit. But it's a very powerful rendition.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 pm

I've never heard Trent Reznor's version. Johnny Cash was just amazing, and he hated himself, and that's very sad.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:08 am

SciFi Chick wrote:I've never heard Trent Reznor's version. Johnny Cash was just amazing, and he hated himself, and that's very sad.

I think at the end he was facing the fact that he had regrets and had no way to make things right. June was gone too. He was a man wracked by grief.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:I've never heard Trent Reznor's version. Johnny Cash was just amazing, and he hated himself, and that's very sad.

I think at the end he was facing the fact that he had regrets and had no way to make things right. June was gone too. He was a man wracked by grief.

Absolutely. It was very clear how much he loved that woman, even before the movie came out. (;)), and I expected him to follow shortly after her passing. Some people are just like that.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:14 pm

I actually have to admit I know almost nothing about Johnny Cash. Or Trent Reznor, for that matter.

Though, Reznor seems to feel similarly about it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_%28N ... sh_version

Turns out Reznor struggled with horrible depression and addictions, especially around the time he was working on that song. So I should really not be talking trash about it. It didn't connect with me at all, but maybe it connects with other people.

(I still think Cash's "crown of thorns" lyrics substitution improves it, though. Hits harder, and with several dimensions of meaning from the Biblical reference. It might be a cliche, but in this case it works.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:I actually have to admit I know almost nothing about Johnny Cash. Or Trent Reznor, for that matter.

Though, Reznor seems to feel similarly about it...

Turns out Reznor struggled with horrible depression and addictions, especially around the time he was working on that song. So I should really not be talking trash about it. It didn't connect with me at all, but maybe it connects with other people.

(I still think Cash's "crown of thorns" lyrics substitution improves it, though. Hits harder, and with several dimensions of meaning from the Biblical reference. It might be a cliche, but in this case it works.)

I think the song appeals to someone who has had immense personal tragedy. Especially the Johnny Cash version. You tend towards a more empathic sense of tragedy in that you feel for others more than from any personal sense of loss or tragedy. At least that's what I perceive given those things you tend to post passionately about on FWIS.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Though, Reznor seems to feel similarly about it...

Wow, I really like what Reznor said about Cash's version. And that's how I thought I was going to feel about it: gimmicky. But he|| no.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 am

Suicide Squad - I thought it was a hoot. My wife even liked it. Don't try to deconstruct the plot, character development or any of that.

Audio was poor, however. I often had a hard time understanding people speaking. Fortunately, it didn't matter.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 am

geonuc wrote:Suicide Squad - I thought it was a hoot. My wife even liked it. Don't try to deconstruct the plot, character development or any of that.

Audio was poor, however. I often had a hard time understanding people speaking. Fortunately, it didn't matter.

I haven't seen it yet, but some of the music from it is making its way onto my Pandora, and that, I am loving! Really dark and twisted, but I'm loving it. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
geonuc wrote:Suicide Squad - I thought it was a hoot. My wife even liked it. Don't try to deconstruct the plot, character development or any of that.

I haven't seen it yet, but some of the music from it is making its way onto my Pandora, and that, I am loving! Really dark and twisted, but I'm loving it. :lol:

The music was pretty good.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:34 pm

And this was supposed to be posted in the movie review thread. :shrug:

I blame the cat.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 pm

geonuc wrote:And this was supposed to be posted in the movie review thread. :shrug:

I blame the cat.

I usually blame the dog(s) on the theory that in addition to being a random alarm system they should have a purpose. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Suicide Squad was shot in Toronto, so I'd probably be distracted picking out locations. It was in the news enough, last summer, nightly newscasts showing crews filming cars racing up and down Yonge St., during the overnight hours. Plenty of onlookers, too. IIRC, they wrapped, just before tiff started.

I saw Jason Bourne, a couple of weeks ago. Not much story, but enough action to get it through it's 2 hour runtime.

Only seen Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt".
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Parrothead wrote:...nightly newscasts showing crews filming cars racing up and down Yonge St., during the overnight hours.
We walked up and down Younge St. a few years ago. Yea!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments