RIP: Mary Tyler Moore

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

RIP: Mary Tyler Moore

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 pm

"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: RIP: Mary Tyler Moore

Postby Parrothead » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 pm

One of my fave sitcoms of all-time is The Dick Van Dyke Show, where she played Laura Petrie. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was ground-breaking at it's time. So many other roles , but these two shows are what I'll remember her for. The final scene in TMTMS's run, the group hug ... :lol:

ETA: I just took a quick look at the article SFC linked to, I'll just put in a quick addition, IIRC her MTM production company was behind WKRP, as well.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 pm

bummer
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Tarragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 am

I watched the DvD Show in reruns a lot as a kid, when mom worked and we had a sitter for a few hours before we went to school. It was like Laura Petrie was America's Mom. Without getting political, it feels appropriate she should die and leave us with America's worst step-dad.
Tarragon

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:54 am

Well, that is sad. I loved the Dick Van Dyke show. She was a very accomplished person.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Listening to an NPR story this morning, her MTM Productions started by her and her husband indeed were behind many of the comedies I grew up with in the '70s. And I'm sure it is more complicated than this, but watching her in DvD and MTM had some influence in how I view the role of women in American society, equal rights, feminism, etc. Some of the things she was able to portray, along with subject matter covered in her shows were ground breaking.

It is indeed a loss, but I would like to celebrate her, her accomplishments, and what she did for TV, and its portrayals of women.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Not a good start for 2017 so far. :(
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Parrothead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Okay, having a few laughs watching the MTM Show, as Comedy is airing a marathon. I do hope they air the "Chuckles the Clown" episode.
Parrothead

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments