Dustin Hoffman on Tootsie

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Dustin Hoffman on Tootsie

Postby Rommie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 am

My respect for this actor just went way up- link

Plus I really need to re-watch that movie; it's been years.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Dustin Hoffman on Tootsie

Postby geonuc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am

And then there's the BBC reporter who suggested on air that newly-crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli wasn't 'a looker' so therefore had to compensate with scrappiness.

I hope what Mr. Hoffman says about himself is true.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Just remember, it's not a comedy.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

geonuc wrote:And then there's the BBC reporter who suggested on air that newly-crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli wasn't 'a looker' so therefore had to compensate with scrappiness.

I hope what Mr. Hoffman says about himself is true.

I've heard a some first hand stories to suggest he's a great actor.
A possible Academy Award for this performance perhaps?
I'll leave it at that.
FZR1KG

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm going to share a comment my cousin posted on Facebook about this.
This has been making its way 'round FB and I share the sentiment of how touching it is and how dead-on Hoffman is about the way women's appearances often dictate their social reality. And yet. And yet, how sad is it that the point of our experiences must be articulated by a man to be 'heard'. Long way to go.

Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 am

pumpkinpi wrote:I'm going to share a comment my cousin posted on Facebook about this.
This has been making its way 'round FB and I share the sentiment of how touching it is and how dead-on Hoffman is about the way women's appearances often dictate their social reality. And yet. And yet, how sad is it that the point of our experiences must be articulated by a man to be 'heard'. Long way to go.

I suspect that the above is why (arguably) feminist men such as John Scalzi have such an audience. It's easier for a man to hear this stuff from another man, than to hear it from a woman. It doesn't hurt so much that way, to hear it from "one of the guys."

It works that way for me anyway. And yes, before anyone says it, I am absolutely cognizant of how fucked up and sexist that is. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's how some men think, and we have to learn to compensate for it and swallow our anger and egotism.

(The truth always hurts, but it's the only thing that can set you free.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 am

Gullible Jones wrote:It works that way for me anyway. And yes, before anyone says it, I am absolutely cognizant of how fucked up and sexist that is. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's how some men think, and we have to learn to compensate for it and swallow our anger and egotism.

(The truth always hurts, but it's the only thing that can set you free.)

Bullshit. Not once have you ever posted what a man had to say about the feminazi agenda. You always post what women have to say.

I will agree with you that you don't listen to some women, because you sure as shit never listen to me in regards to female oppression anyway. Then again, you never listen to FZ or Yosh either, so I guess that one isn't gender bias. :P
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:31 am

I said "easier to hear," not "I actually want to hear it." Believe me, I'd rather not hear any of this shit from anyone; the problem is reality isn't necessarily what I want to hear. :)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 am

Gullible Jones wrote:I said "easier to hear," not "I actually want to hear it." Believe me, I'd rather not hear any of this shit from anyone; the problem is reality isn't necessarily what I want to hear. :)

For the record, when making a decision about whether or not something true, it is dangerous to assume that if you don't want to hear it, it's more likely to be true.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rebis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 pm

I tried watching "Tootsie" once, but will admit Hoffman's voice as Tootsie drove me nuts. Ugh. :x He's a great actor, but his voice in that role grated on me. :( Maybe I'll try to rewatch it.

Regarding women's appearance, oh yeah: When I've been overweight I'm "invisible" but men will listen/take me seriously if we must converse.

When I've lost weight, look out: They're hitting on me left and right, and nothing I *say* is of any interest; only "amusing" or "aren't you cute"? NOT taken seriously 8 times out of 10.

Doesn't matter that I'm married, and most of them are too.
Rebis

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments