Chuck Berry

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Chuck Berry

Postby Parrothead » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 am

The first inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Hits such as "Johnny B. Goode" , "Roll Over Beethoven", "Rock and Roll Music" and "Maybellene" has passed away at age 90. His signature hop and duck walk. A true pioneer of modern music.

RIP.
Parrothead

Re: Chuck Berry

Postby geonuc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Groundbreaking musician, for sure. He also led an interesting life with many run-ins with the law.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Yesterday morning I was talking about great rock and rollers with my kids and my parents. I said the Beatles were probably the greatest band, but the Stones were a close second, and probably the greatest true rock band. My mom said, especially when you take into account longevity. They are still performing, even though Keef Richards looks like 20 years in the grave.

Then she said, well there are some others still performing--Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis!

My dad saw Berry in concert at his college homecoming (still in college) in about 1965. He said it was one of the greatest concerts he's seen.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

He was considered to be the father of rock and roll. Of all the songs he sang the one that always sticks in my head is this one. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am

pumpkinpi wrote:Yesterday morning I was talking about great rock and rollers with my kids and my parents. I said the Beatles were probably the greatest band, but the Stones were a close second, and probably the greatest true rock band.

Now you done it.

Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band in history - large body of work, diverse repertoire, outstanding vocalist and lead guitar. The Beatles were probably the most influential from a fan's standpoint (as opposed to being an influence on other musicians). Rolling Stones are the second greatest rock band.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

geonuc wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:Yesterday morning I was talking about great rock and rollers with my kids and my parents. I said the Beatles were probably the greatest band, but the Stones were a close second, and probably the greatest true rock band.

Now you done it.

Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band in history - large body of work, diverse repertoire, outstanding vocalist and lead guitar. The Beatles were probably the most influential from a fan's standpoint (as opposed to being an influence on other musicians). Rolling Stones are the second greatest rock band.
Where's the sitting eating popcorn smilie!?!? Mr. Berry could be known to be a bit cranky at times. I saw him as the headliner at a street festival in the late 80's. Kept b|tching at one of the stage sound techs. Got so pissed he kicked him off the stage. During a song break, one of "his" people had a quick chat with Berry and convinced him to let the guy back on stage. He was the only guy who could run the stage sound board. It was hiliarious and a train wreck at the same time.
Great passage in Bob Greene's book, "When We Get to Surf City" about Berry driving up late to a festival he was supposed to headline. Jan and Dean had been asked to stay onstage for a longer set to cover for him.

And everybody knows Spinal Tap is the greatest band of all time.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Chuck and the 14 year old girl he used for sex, he was 33

He also committed armed robbery and was a well known asshole.
Being able to sing and play a musical instrument doesn't make up for shit in my book.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments