Anyone watching Designated Survivor?

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Anyone watching Designated Survivor?

Postby Tarragon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:09 am

I wasn't sure to expect. I never watched 24, but I heard a lot about Jack Bauer and how badass he is. I almost think this character is too passive. Maybe he can borrow some balls from Madam Secretary.

Anyway, At first, when the season aired lat fall, I thought it was a terrible premise that I hoped would never happen and was engaging in fringe, paranoid fantasizing. The second half of the season started airing last week and I have to say, it's growing on me.
Tarragon

Re: Anyone watching Designated Survivor?

Postby geonuc » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

I've been watching it from the beginning. Good show, and I like how President Kirkland is portrayed.

What I don't like, and this is a common complaint of mine with various White House shows since West Wing, is how the president seems to exist in this bubble maintained by young, inexperienced aides. As if he doesn't routinely interact with the more senior, experienced members of the administration. Mind you, in this show, the 'administration' had to be put together fairly rapidly.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Not watching, but did run into them filming in Toronto around the corner from me last weekend! They weren't filming outside, but all the trailers were parked there so lots of people running about. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby vendic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:15 pm

geonuc wrote:I've been watching it from the beginning. Good show, and I like how President Kirkland is portrayed.

What I don't like, and this is a common complaint of mine with various White House shows since West Wing, is how the president seems to exist in this bubble maintained by young, inexperienced aides. As if he doesn't routinely interact with the more senior, experienced members of the administration. Mind you, in this show, the 'administration' had to be put together fairly rapidly.

Sounds like the current administration.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Tarragon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:29 am

Rommie wrote:Not watching, but did run into them filming in Toronto around the corner from me last weekend! They weren't filming outside, but all the trailers were parked there so lots of people running about. :)

Maybe you could be an extra.
Tarragon

Postby Rommie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Tarragon wrote:
Rommie wrote:Not watching, but did run into them filming in Toronto around the corner from me last weekend! They weren't filming outside, but all the trailers were parked there so lots of people running about. :)

Maybe you could be an extra.

I looked into being an extra and I can't on a student permit. Plus frankly even the crappy ones can be competitive, lots of young Canadians trying to "make it" in town.
Rommie

Postby Tarragon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 am

OK, that escalated quickly. Did not see it coming. The series just took a detour. I wonder if they changed the direction of the writing after the election.
Tarragon

Postby geonuc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Tarragon wrote:OK, that escalated quickly. Did not see it coming. The series just took a detour. I wonder if they changed the direction of the writing after the election.

Without posting spoilers, I'm trying to figure out how Trump's surprise victory would cause the writers to shift in the direction they did this last episode.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Watched the first episode last night. Honestly, while the premise is interesting enough, there are a fair number of shows where if I don't feel that involved with the characters I'll just go read the Wikipedia synopsis for a season so I know what happened. Far more efficient for a woman with limited time. ;) I suspect this will be one of those.
Rommie

Postby Tarragon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 am

geonuc wrote:
Tarragon wrote:OK, that escalated quickly. Did not see it coming. The series just took a detour. I wonder if they changed the direction of the writing after the election.

Without posting spoilers, I'm trying to figure out how Trump's surprise victory would cause the writers to shift in the direction they did this last episode.

Not the plot line per se, but creating the opening for a new plot, possibly "inspired by the headlines," where a Bigger Bad yet to be revealed might in the future have a different accent than originally intended.

Just a thought. I don't know how far in advance they write and film these episodes.
Tarragon

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments