When We Rise

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

When We Rise

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:34 am

Anybody watch this?
I heard several interviews back before the holidays with directors and stars of this ABS mini series. It chronicles the LBGTQ movement in the SF CA area from around the time of the Stonewall Riots. I had set some reminders for when it was going to be on and sort of forgot about it. It aired for 4 nights a couple of weeks ago. We taped it and have now watched two of the four episodes.

It's not what I expected. I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. But I'm interested enough to keep watching. Luckily with the DVR, I can wait and watch when I'm ready.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: When We Rise

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am

Umm, I guess that's a resounding "No."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Sorry. Never heard of it.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:29 pm

I have heard of it. I am just currently going through a phase where I barely watch adult television or movies. I expect it to last about 11 more years. The boy turns 18 then. I am sure that by then he won't insist that I watch Power Rangers or Pokémon.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 pm

You know, I get that. Watched alot of Nemo, Monsters Inc, and Toy Story. Then we'd get The Kid to bed and were able to watch whatever we wanted.....I'd fall fast asleep on the couch. :P

I don't watch alot of network TV. But it seemed like this series was going to be a big deal. I heard alot of interviews back around the holidays with the various players. Then nothing. I really had to go out of my way to search for it, find it, and get it recorded.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

The only show I've seen with any LBGT character was Sense8, by the Wachowski Brothers/Sisters. I found the show started too slow and the transgender character was to me at least, just whinny and annoying. Not sure why they did that with the first major role an actual transgender person was playing. Hopefully it doesn't set a trend and become a stereotype.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 am

Thumper wrote:Umm, I guess that's a resounding "No."

I had not heard of it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby code monkey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:12 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I have heard of it. I am just currently going through a phase where I barely watch adult television or movies. I expect it to last about 11 more years. The boy turns 18 then. I am sure that by then he won't insist that I watch Power Rangers or Pokémon.

oh thank you for this post. I was planning to see the film tomorrow (was completely wrong as to who the power rangers were). because of what you said I looked up the reviews. I've enjoyed any number of things that were intended for an audience much younger that I but I doubt that this would be one of them.

btw thumper, I've not heard of it.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments