Class (Dr. Who spinoff)

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Class (Dr. Who spinoff)

Postby Tarragon » Tue May 09, 2017 4:19 am

Anyone watching this? It's becoming a monster-of-the-week-through-the-rift-in-spacetime kinda thing that would be easily solved if the Doctor returned. The resolutions require the passionate intensity of someone who has destroyed countless worlds over his 2000 year lifetime, or teenage angst. I know Dr. Who is considered a children's show, but this show with children might be too dark, approximately fifty shades darker.
Tarragon

Re: Class (Dr. Who spinoff)

Postby geonuc » Tue May 09, 2017 11:47 am

Hmmm, never heard of it.

Dr Who is considered a children's show?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue May 09, 2017 1:48 pm

geonuc wrote:Hmmm, never heard of it.

Historically, yes. More of a family show, one adults can watch with kids and not be embarrassed about adult situations. But you have to gauge your child's comfort with monsters! Our older child is scared of it in general but our younger one loves certain episodes.

I'm not watching Class, because I don't have access to BBC America. If I get the chance I'll check it out. I tried both the Sarah Jane CHronicles and Torchwood spinoffs, but I didn't care for them very much.

Forgive me if it shoudl be obvious, but I don't know who you (Tarragon) are so I don't know what you know about me! Others seems to be familiar with you but I'm not. My husband is a HUUGE Doctor Who fanatic. We have every series on DVD, back to the first Doctor. We've been watching all of them chronologically in the evenings before bed. We started about 3 years ago, and we watch about 20 minutes 4-5 times a week. We're partially through the 5th Doctor.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I really enjoyed Torchwood. Wish they'd make more of them actually. But I can't call myself a Doctor Who fan because I only enjoyed 9 and 10. I forced myself to watch 11, hoping he'd grow on me. He was okay, but I just lost interest.

I, too, have never heard of Class.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:

Historically, yes.

I think its taken on a life well beyond that of a children's show, though. Or so say the 70,000 people who attend DragonCon every year, an millions of others. :D
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 am

We have been watching it at our house. I kind of like it. It is different than the usual Dr Who fare. It has some similarity to the Sara Jane Chronicles. Of course, the teenage angst thing is not necessarily just for teens. I think they may be trying to interest a younger audience too.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Tarragon » Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 am

pumpkinpi wrote:

Historically, yes. More of a family show, one adults can watch with kids and not be embarrassed about adult situations. But you have to gauge your child's comfort with monsters! Our older child is scared of it in general but our younger one loves certain episodes.

I'm not watching Class, because I don't have access to BBC America. If I get the chance I'll check it out. I tried both the Sarah Jane CHronicles and Torchwood spinoffs, but I didn't care for them very much.

Forgive me if it shoudl be obvious, but I don't know who you (Tarragon) are so I don't know what you know about me! Others seems to be familiar with you but I'm not. My husband is a HUUGE Doctor Who fanatic. We have every series on DVD, back to the first Doctor. We've been watching all of them chronologically in the evenings before bed. We started about 3 years ago, and we watch about 20 minutes 4-5 times a week. We're partially through the 5th Doctor.

I heard they've recovered more of the first Doctor and saw previews for some animation set to recovered audio, but I haven't actually seen it.

I've been a fan since I was about 10. We met Tom Baker at a my first and only Con when I was 12. He was great and is still my favorite. Although, I do like Tennant and Smith. Capaldi was growing on me, but with the new season I'm starting to think it was the dynamic with Clara Oswald that I enjoyed. I liked Eccleston at first, but on rewatching that season he seems a little underwhelming. However, I never saw Sarah Jane Chronicles and I only saw the Miracle Day season of Torthwood.
Tarragon

Postby Tarragon » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 am

SciFi Chick wrote:I really enjoyed Torchwood. Wish they'd make more of them actually. But I can't call myself a Doctor Who fan because I only enjoyed 9 and 10. I forced myself to watch 11, hoping he'd grow on me. He was okay, but I just lost interest.

You didn't like Matt Smith? He was a bit young, and spoke fast, and he destroyed the universe and then undid it so many times it became trite.

If you can get BBC America, Class comes on Saturday night, right after Doctor Who. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to hard to subvert tropes, as the students are often "Genre Aware", debating on whether to call the rift a "hellmouth" or other names taken from SF media.
Tarragon

Postby geonuc » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Well, I guess I need to catch an episode.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu May 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Tarragon wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:I really enjoyed Torchwood. Wish they'd make more of them actually. But I can't call myself a Doctor Who fan because I only enjoyed 9 and 10. I forced myself to watch 11, hoping he'd grow on me. He was okay, but I just lost interest.

You didn't like Matt Smith? He was a bit young, and spoke fast, and he destroyed the universe and then undid it so many times it became trite.

If you can get BBC America, Class comes on Saturday night, right after Doctor Who. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to hard to subvert tropes, as the students are often "Genre Aware", debating on whether to call the rift a "hellmouth" or other names taken from SF media.

I liked quite a few of the stories of Matt Smith, but I couldn't bring myself to like him overall. On the other hand, I love Peter Capaldi's Doctor but he's gotten shite storylines.
David Tennant was solid. Before Capaldi, I preferred Christopher Eccleston of the three. Tarragon, your comment about his was interesting. It's been a long time since I've watched any of his stories in their entirety, and when I have it's been in bits and bites. What I do recall is how dated it looked! It was state of the art cinematography when it came out, but that was over a decade ago!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Tarragon » Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 am

pumpkinpi wrote:I liked quite a few of the stories of Matt Smith, but I couldn't bring myself to like him overall. On the other hand, I love Peter Capaldi's Doctor but he's gotten shite storylines.
David Tennant was solid. Before Capaldi, I preferred Christopher Eccleston of the three. Tarragon, your comment about his was interesting. It's been a long time since I've watched any of his stories in their entirety, and when I have it's been in bits and bites. What I do recall is how dated it looked! It was state of the art cinematography when it came out, but that was over a decade ago!

Something I noticed in rewatching the Eccleston season is the pacing. The later Doctors all seem to have faster dialogue. Other shots in that season seem longer, such as showing someone running or walking or standing and thinking. That's probably changed across all genres and media. When I rewatched some Tom Baker eps last year, it seemed interminably slow.
Tarragon

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Tarragon wrote:

I liked quite a few of the stories of Matt Smith, but I couldn't bring myself to like him overall. On the other hand, I love Peter Capaldi's Doctor but he's gotten shite storylines.

I bolded part of your quote. This is really my issue. I didn't like the change in showrunner after Tennant.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

geonuc wrote:Well, I guess I need to catch an episode.

Saw it. It's interesting in the Dr Who kind of way. The problem I had with watching the episode is that the audio quality is such that I missed a lot of the dialog. Context filled in the blanks but it was still annoying.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Tarragon » Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am

geonuc wrote:

Saw it. It's interesting in the Dr Who kind of way. The problem I had with watching the episode is that the audio quality is such that I missed a lot of the dialog. Context filled in the blanks but it was still annoying.

I have the same problem. I wonder if British and Canadian viewers have similar issues, or maybe it's a cultural thing

I just watched last night's ep, and I'm growing disappointed. Many of the characters seem a little too savvy. Even though some bad things have happened over the season so far, it seems like they get a lot of candy but not much spinach. There's a plot arc (of sorts) but no real character growth. The plots merely let them show off how awesome they already thought they were.
Tarragon

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Tarragon wrote:
geonuc wrote:

I have the same problem. I wonder if British and Canadian viewers have similar issues, or maybe it's a cultural thing

I just watched last night's ep, and I'm growing disappointed. Many of the characters seem a little too savvy. Even though some bad things have happened over the season so far, it seems like they get a lot of candy but not much spinach. There's a plot arc (of sorts) but no real character growth. The plots merely let them show off how awesome they already thought they were.

Sometimes they start character and plot development after the first season. It’s almost as if they use the first season to get you watching. Hence the “monster of the week” and the “Wow! I am a fabulous anti-hero type of person” episodes the first season. Or the angry blond lady who can’t kill anyone until she conveniently pushes the prince in front of the monster. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm

geonuc wrote:

I tend to use closed captioning a lot when no one else is looking. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Tarragon » Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:

I tend to use closed captioning a lot when no one else is looking. :P

The British and the Americans. Two peoples separated by a common language.
Tarragon

Postby vendic » Sun May 21, 2017 2:09 am

There's a lot of truth in that.
People still can't understand me here.
But I can put on the worst Southern accent and they have no problem. lol

I am however banned from saying "block buster" in public.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 am

vendic wrote:There's a lot of truth in that.
People still can't understand me here.
But I can put on the worst Southern accent and they have no problem. lol

I am however banned from saying "block buster" in public.

roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments