The Dark Tower

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

The Dark Tower

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm

So, I'm certainly not the biggest Stephen King fan out there, but likely the biggest one you know. I'll read/see just about anything he releases. He's put out a lot of shite, and the movie adaptions run the spectrum from some of the best movies ever made, to some of the worst. But his best books are so meaningful to me that I'll remain a constant reader.

None of the books in the 8 part series of The Dark Tower is my favorite of his, but as a whole it stands on top. I've read through the whole series 4 times, and the earlier books I've read even more times than that. When the making of this movie was announced, I went back to read the whole series for what I thought might be the last time. I have my own picture of Roland and his Ka-Tet in my head, and it's hard to go back to that once you've seen someone else's vision of it.

Today is the release day, and I even took the day off of work for it. However, the movie actually was released last night so I went to see it. I wasn't sure what to expect. I learned a while back that it isn't a direct remake of the books, which I thought was a good thing. It would be nearly impossible to do so. But what makes it work is that (spoiler if you ever think you'll read all 8 books) Ka is a wheel so you can consider this the next go around.

My verdict: two thumbs up. Four stars. A+. I really didn't expect to like it this much. But it was very well done. It wasn't the books, but it was the Universe. It preserved the nature of the series. It didn't have any cheesy elements that commonly make it in to SK adaptations. SK himself said "Killer, no filler" at only 95 minutes long. Plus, it is a Ron Howard movie, who tends to get it right!

What I can't tell is how people who haven't read the books will react. I hope they like it. But I can't remove myself from it enough to judge whether the story on its own is a strong one. I think it's important for it to have broad appeal, becuase the plan for sequels depends on that. So go see it! Tell 'em Pi sent ya!

Next up: a remake of It. Oh Holy Hell, that one looks scary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7no56Zw1e20
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Parrothead » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm

I haven't read any of the books, in this series. I plan on seeing the movie, perhaps next week (this is a long weekend, for us ). The only gripes in the one review, I've read, dealt with taming things down to a teen level. Also, as usual with his works, much gets dropped in translating from novel to film. I take it, this is the same Ka as mentioned in "Desperation" / "The Regulators".

I plan on eventually getting around to this series, once I get me one of those e-reader thingies. My middle aged eyes will thank me.

"It ", I remember some stories from when they were filming parts of it around town and surrounding areas. Like the tv mini-series it/It will be in two parts.
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:16 am

IIRC I have read at least 4 of the books in the series. I like it. The previews I have seen of the movie look good. I am not a purist. I don't believe that the movie has to be exactly like the book. But, it does have to keep the spirit of the story. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 pm

I didn't realize "It" was being released next month. There's an article in today's Toronto Sun, it has a bit of Q & A with producers, from a visit to one of the sets of "It", last year. Don't know if both parts were filmed or if they are waiting to see how the first part gets received.

Dark Tower, I'll probably go see middle of next week.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:17 pm

I haven't read the Dark Tower books, although I've read plenty of King's horror, which I find to be top tier for the genre.

So, I saw the movie this week. I liked it (3.5 out of 5 stars). It was tight, well paced and as PP said, not full of irrelevant plot points. In terms of cinematic effects, I like the gunplay scenes- they really show off the gunslinger's particular talent.

What I didn't like so much, and is why I rate it at only 3.5, is the casting of McConaughey. I'm not a fan. This certainly isn't his worst movie - he does evil guy better than good guy - but I just don't like him as an actor. Admittedly, it's probably partially spillover from my judgment of him as a person. He's arrogant.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 pm

geonuc wrote:Admittedly, it's probably partially spillover from my judgment of him as a person. He's arrogant.

You sound like my husband. :lol:

What about him seems arrogant to you? vendic hasn't been specific as to why he doesn't like him and I'm just curious why he seems to come across differently to women vs. men. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong. I don't know him and I have no emotional investment in this. I'm just curious. We all have actors/actresses/celebrities we don't like and that's completely fair. A couple of examples: I really, really can't stand Billy Bob Thornton or Sean Penn.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm

I've seen a few interviews with McConaughey, the latest being an hour long thing (I didn't make it that far) with golf commentator David Feherty (McConaughey apparently is a good golfer). It's hard to be specific, but you recognize arrogance when you hear it and he oozes it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 pm

He just doesn't make men moist or week in the knees the way he does with women...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Thumper wrote:He just doesn't make men moist or week in the knees the way he does with women...

:rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

geonuc wrote:I've seen a few interviews with McConaughey, the latest being an hour long thing (I didn't make it that far) with golf commentator David Feherty (McConaughey apparently is a good golfer). It's hard to be specific, but you recognize arrogance when you hear it and he oozes it.

I admit, I haven't watched him interact as himself, and I think I'll skip it so I can continue to enjoy some of his work. Don't even get me started on "Interstellar." :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

All right, all right, all right...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 pm

I don't have either a like or dislike of MM. I think he did a fine job as the man in black. He executed the character well, and I didn't find myself distracted that it was MM.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby vendic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't like him because of his arrogance. This world isn't big enough for the two of us so he has to go
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 pm

YOU would be a GREAT man in black!!!
pumpkinpi

Postby vendic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:YOU would be a GREAT man in black!!!

Me?

I don't really know the character as I haven't read the book. Is he like super awesome or something? lol

Or did you just give me a backhanded complement? :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 pm

vendic wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:YOU would be a GREAT man in black!!!

Me?

I don't really know the character as I haven't read the book. Is he like super awesome or something? lol

Or did you just give me a backhanded complement? :P

Well, he is a pretty awesome villain in several of King's stories. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments