Star Trek Discovery

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Star Trek Discovery

Postby Loresinger » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:25 pm

I watched this last night and am rather disappointed. The visuals are stunning but there is no real chemistry to it and the Klingons look ridiculous. Sigh I have been a fan since childhood but this one isn't getting my seal of approval.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Loresinger wrote:I watched this last night and am rather disappointed. The visuals are stunning but there is no real chemistry to it and the Klingons look ridiculous. Sigh I have been a fan since childhood but this one isn't getting my seal of approval.

I haven't really heard many good reviews of this. People are saying that Seth MacFarlane's knockoff Orville is a better Star Trek than Discovery. I watched the first couple episodes of the latter and was entertained.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm

I like Orville. Haven't seen Discovery.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:34 am

geonuc wrote:I like Orville. Haven't seen Discovery.

Same here. A show that doesn't take itself seriously and is a great laugh.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 am

Unfortunately, I only saw the first two episodes. I like it enough to say I would watch the rest of the series. IF it weren't behind a fun little paywall. The latest thing these days is to make people pay ala carte for content like this by making you buy a monthly subscription to the CBS content online. I already pay enough for Cable, Amazon, Netflix. etc. I draw the line at 6 different streaming services by gawd!!! :P

I will probably never see Orville. It's a FOX produced show. You know, the same people who produce FAUX NEWS. I just can't bring myself to support them in any way. I even refuse to share stories that are from Fox affiliates even if the story seems true and reasonable. My little personal boycott probably won't affect them one damn bit. But, it makes me feel better. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Loresinger wrote:I watched this last night and am rather disappointed. The visuals are stunning but there is no real chemistry to it and the Klingons look ridiculous. Sigh I have been a fan since childhood but this one isn't getting my seal of approval.

I haven't really heard many good reviews of this. People are saying that Seth MacFarlane's knockoff Orville is a better Star Trek than Discovery. I watched the first couple episodes of the latter and was entertained.

I'm one of those people - Orville is more ST:TOS than the new ST
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Watched the first two episodes w my boyfriend as he was excited about them, and spent a lot of time reminiscing about his Next Generation crush when he was a teenager. That was fun. :P

I'll probably finish it at some point because I've now signed up for Crave TV, which is basically Netflix's competitor in Canada (but is way better than all those other services in the USA as they buy the rights to everything, from Handmaid's Tale to Star Trek to old HBO shows). Doubt I would though if I had to pay for it. My adviser says he thought the first two were ok but the third was WAY better, so I'll be curious to see if that holds.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 pm

I have balked at watching Discovery because it's on CBS's new pay service. I already pay Comcast a fuck ton per month (actual official unit of currency) for a lot of channels including all the premium stuff (HBO, STARZ, etc), and I have Amazon Prime and a firestick or what ever it's called in case I want to watch Amazon's stuff, such as Man in the High Castle. And I have a Netflix streaming account. The idea of buying yet another service repels me.

But ...

I want to watch ST Discovery and it's only a few dollars a month. :shrug:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 am

geonuc wrote:I have balked at watching Discovery because it's on CBS's new pay service.

I had a similar debate. I've watched little pieces on-line, and I have liked almost none of what I see. It seems very dark, both photographically and in tone, and I like neither. I've enjoyed dark science fiction, but that isn't Star Trek.

Star Trek isn't supposed to be edgy. It is supposed to slightly funny, moral, and more than a little hopeful and up-lifting. It is supposed to be an optimistic future, with the occasional conflict, or crisis, or tough spot, not a dark one.

It actually has become an easy decision not to spend the money.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments