Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am

In an attempt to get ready for the new Blade Runner movie, we watched the original at home last week. Mrs. T had never seen it and I'm not sure I'd seen the whole thing in one sitting. We both enjoyed it and remarked about how ahead of its time it was.

Went to the theatre and saw the latest installment last night. Wow. First, it's long. Second, it's big. I won't say much more to not give away any spoilers until those that are interested have had a chance to see it. I was confused alot of the time. I think I still am. However, it did foster lots of conversation on the way home.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: 2049

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Thumper wrote: Mrs. T had never seen it and I'm not sure I'd seen the whole thing in one sitting.

:shock: WHAT????

I love the original; I think it an absolutely beautiful, fantastic movie. I've probably seen it in movie theaters a half a dozen times, and many times on TV (including the various "cuts"). I actually like the version with the Harrison Ford voice-over (some people don't); it reminds me of the Film Noir movies of the 40s.

The best viewing I ever had was when I lived in Paris in this strange movie theater that had some sort of anamorphic projection system like Cinemascope that projected on a curved screen. The theater was small, it only had maybe a hundred people (this was 30+ years ago, so my memory is fuzzy), but it almost was like an Imax surround version. The scenes flying over LA were absolutely amazing, I felt I was immersed in the movie.

I'm a little nervous about seeing the new one; I hate to spoil my memories. I also like that the first movie ended with a big "OK, but what happens to the Deckard and Rachael?" and it is left as a mystery. I don't need all my mysteries tied up.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

I plan to see it. I've read good things.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:52 pm

The 2 hr 45 min runtime is what may leave me waiting until it comes out on dvd. This is one of two films I have been waiting for. "The Snowman" is out on Friday.

I have the director's cut from when it was released on vhs, Space was airing the voice-over version, a week before the release of 2049. Didn't get a chance to see the original at cinesphere (70mm/IMAX format, screen 60 ft high by 80 ft wide) back in the day.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

The original wasn't really my movie when it first came out. I loved Star Wars. This was like the anti Star Wars, certainly the anti Star Trek. I came to appreciate it and would watch parts when I would see it on HBO or other TV. I can discuss scenes, and repeat quotes. It's just that it had been so long that I don't remember sitting and watching it all the way through. I know I didn't see it in theatre. So that's why we watched it 2 weeks ago to get ready for 2049. I know it wasn't Mrs. T's cup of tea but she really appreciated it.
As for 2049, yes there are mixed reviews. I liked it and appreciated it. It will be an Oscar contender in several categories. Soundtrack and cinematography for sure. Yes it was long and some scenes could have been shortened but I don't think the time was wasted. As to "tying up all the mysteries" there are plenty of loose ends. Several stories where you'd like to know more of what happens next, or what happened before. I think you're missing out if you don't see this on a big screen. I know most of us have 55" TV's and some sort of surround. But the theatre experience was immersing and awesome.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:29 pm

It seems that any time a movie goes over two hours there are those who will complain that it is too long. Most of the time IMO the decision to make them longer is not made lightly. But, sometimes the art and the story demand that you give it more than the standard of approximately two hours.

Every movie that was extra long seemed to be well worth the extra time (that I have seen anyway).

Still waiting to hear back from my brother to see if we are going to see it this week end.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am

SciFiFisher wrote:Still waiting to hear back from my brother to see if we are going to see it this week end.
Who's the Colonel in this family? You tell HIM that you're all going to see it. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Still waiting to hear back from my brother to see if we are going to see it this week end.
Who's the Colonel in this family? You tell HIM that you're all going to see it. :P

Done! Also told him where to go and when to be there!! :lol: And as long as I am buying the tickets he will salute and say "Sir, Yes Sir!"
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:32 am

That's what I'm talking about.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:25 pm

I saw BR 2049 yesterday. Good movie, not great, not too long.

I thought the plot and storyline could have been a bit more transparent to help us (me) out. Not much more, just a bit. It took me a while to grasp just what was going on and I feel it was about nuances that had I been more tuned in, I would enjoy the movie more.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 am

I guess I thought that was part of the point: You weren't supposed to know quite what deal was. I felt a little dumb, even though I just watched the original the week before.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 am

I felt it was well done. They did manage to surprise me a bit. Well worth the price of admission.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 am

Sounds like so far, those of us who've seen it are about on the same page, or at least in the same chapter.

What's the fun of that? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Thumper wrote:Sounds like so far, those of us who've seen it are about on the same page, or at least in the same chapter.

What's the fun of that? :P

What do you expect from a bunch of geeks? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Witty obscure personal insults.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Thumper wrote:Witty obscure personal insults.

Well, now that you mention it, I think your take on Blade Runner reveals your deep personal bias against ... something. I forget what. Maybe Star Trek. But whatever it is, I'm certain that your opinion sucks. Possibly.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:16 am

Go Away! Or I Shall Taunt You Again! :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Ok, so I found a (more) compelling reason to find this movie. My brother and his gf just went to see it, and apparently because it was filmed in Budapest the "futuristic language" people speak is actually just Hungarian. (Makes sense, if you're not Hungarian it sounds super weird and you can find plenty of extras who can do the lines just fine.) So when they're talking about finishing someone off, for example, they're really just saying in Hungarian "RETIRE HIM."

Seems really in line with the activity I enjoy called "laughing in movies at inappropriate times." :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 pm

That Hungarian take is interesting considering there's a strong Asian culture theme in both movies.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Rommie wrote:Ok, so I found a (more) compelling reason to find this movie. My brother and his gf just went to see it, and apparently because it was filmed in Budapest the "futuristic language" people speak is actually just Hungarian. (Makes sense, if you're not Hungarian it sounds super weird and you can find plenty of extras who can do the lines just fine.) So when they're talking about finishing someone off, for example, they're really just saying in Hungarian "RETIRE HIM."

Seems really in line with the activity I enjoy called "laughing in movies at inappropriate times." :P

:lol:

I assume the futuristic food is goulash and dobos torte. :D

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby code monkey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 pm

Swift wrote: I assume the futuristic food is goulash and dobos torte. :D

you say that as though it's a bad thing.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Swift » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 am

code monkey wrote:
Swift wrote: I assume the futuristic food is goulash and dobos torte. :D

you say that as though it's a bad thing.

Oh god no. That would be on my short list for last meal.

Swift

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments