Louis C.K.

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Louis C.K.

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Thumper wrote:So why don't they? I have to entertain the notion that until their accuser speaks up, these people in their heads don't actually believe what they did was wrong. Some surely do and they get off on it. But most of us don't go around thinking that we're doing things that are wrong and evil. We DON'T do them because we think they're wrong and evil.

This is kind of what "angry feminists" have been telling us for like... 50 years? Probably way longer. Many predatory guys don't think they're doing anything wrong. They're not psychopaths, they just don't bother to look at themselves too hard. It's easy to misunderstand and difficult to accept, but yeah, unfortunately it's reality.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby code monkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 am

geonuc wrote:I have to say the recent spate of sexual misconduct allegations against various male celebrities troubles me, and not just in the sense you might expect. Please note that I said "not just" - I'm troubled in the expected senses, too.

As a white, older male, I am hesitant to express my opinion on the subject because I don't think it will be received well because I'm a white, older male. It's a little like expressing opinions on racism or gender equality - my voice is irrelevant because I'm part of the problem. I'm going to offer an opinion anyway.

[ETA: never mind. I decided against it.]

oh come on, geonuc. as I said a while back in a thread talking about the way fwis has withered, this is a safe place. yes, there have been some squabbles here and people have gone stalking off but, for the most part, differences have been settled. most of the members are older (older that what?) white males. and I think that the statement that one is part of the problem simply if one can be seen as belonging to a privileged class is utter garbage. btw you're thoughtful, smart, well-educated and a nice person. so please give your opinion. and we have ways of dealing with those who do not work and play well with other fwis members.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 pm

code monkey wrote:
geonuc wrote:I have to say the recent spate of sexual misconduct allegations against various male celebrities troubles me, and not just in the sense you might expect. Please note that I said "not just" - I'm troubled in the expected senses, too.

As a white, older male, I am hesitant to express my opinion on the subject because I don't think it will be received well because I'm a white, older male. It's a little like expressing opinions on racism or gender equality - my voice is irrelevant because I'm part of the problem. I'm going to offer an opinion anyway.

oh come on, geonuc. as I said a while back in a thread talking about the way fwis has withered, this is a safe place. yes, there have been some squabbles here and people have gone stalking off but, for the most part, differences have been settled. most of the members are older (older that what?) white males. and I think that the statement that one is part of the problem simply if one can be seen as belonging to a privileged class is utter garbage. btw you're thoughtful, smart, well-educated and a nice person. so please give your opinion. and we have ways of dealing with those who do not work and play well with other fwis members.

Nevertheless, I decline to persist.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby code monkey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 am

geonuc wrote:
code monkey wrote:

Nevertheless, I decline to persist.

you really know how to hurt a guy.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Loresinger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm

This discussion is not about male vs. female, color or even political standing - it is a HUMAN issue and needs to be dealt with on that level.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Previous

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments