3 Billboards

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

3 Billboards

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Saw it last night. Glad I finally did. Mrs. T did not really like it. I appreciated it, the humor, the blackness, it made me think. I thought it took things to absurdity to make a point. Not sure what it was, but I thought it was interesting. I think all the actors did a fine job developing their characters. One interesting find: There was a priest played by Nick Searcy. I like him but wasn't sure it was him. He had a big part in HBO's/Tom Hanks'/Andrew Chaikin's "From the Earth to the Moon." But I wasn't quite sure it was him. Going through the final credits in slow motion, there was no priest or character played by Searcy. Mrs. T was looking it up on IMDB and his role was listed as uncredited. Then she noticed that there were alot of uncredited parts and she wondered why. My guess was that there were people interested in the project, if they did the work uncredited, they wouldn't have to be paid per SAG union rules or some such saving the picture undue costs.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: 3 Billboards

Postby Rommie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Saw it on the plane this past weekend coming back from California. I thought it was a fine picture, but not so unique as to win best picture. And I will agree with the "some stuff got really over the top" assessment!

My big thing was while watching the Oscars I didn't realize the protagonist woman, Frances McDormand, was also the pregnant police officer protagonist in Fargo. To be fair that was over 20 years ago, when I was 10, and she spends most of Fargo bundled up wearing a hat. But it also made me reflect a little how nice it was that there actually was a good role for her to do such a great performance in- I feel like most women win best actress before they hit 30 and then fade away because unless you're Meryl Streep there usually aren't as many major roles focused on no-longer-young women.

The last observation I will credit to the fact that I guess I'm getting older. :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm

I love Frances McDormand and pretty much everything she's ever been in. You believe her characters.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 pm

And wow, yeah Fargo was in 1996....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Thumper wrote:And wow, yeah Fargo was in 1996....

Fargo was my introduction to Frances. And I agree - everything she does is a delight.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 am

I thought 3 Billboards was one of the best movies of 2017.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Two hours of my life that I will never get back. Sam Rockwell was the ONLY redeeming aspect imho.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Meh, it was fine for a plane ride. But yeah not the amazing thing everyone touted imo.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Rommie wrote:Meh, it was fine for a plane ride. But yeah not the amazing thing everyone touted imo.

Seriously. We had a name for this in my acting class in L.A.: kitchen sink reality
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 am

Oh well, Mrs. T didn't much get it either.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Thumper wrote:Oh well, Mrs. T didn't much get it either.

Is it possible that your personal life is making this movie resonate with you in a way it wouldn't have before?
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm

I didn't really think of that. I assume you mean my friend losing his teenage daughter? I suppose it's possible. Mrs. T and I sometimes have different tastes in movies. She's really not a fan of violent movies. Although she appreciated Fargo and some other darker Coen Bros. movies. She doesn't like Tarantino movies at all and was completely disturbed by No Country for Old Men. Though I was struck by the humor. I was laughing out loud on multiple occasions and she just sat there with a disturbed look on her face.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Thumper wrote:I didn't really think of that. I assume you mean my friend losing his teenage daughter? I suppose it's possible. Mrs. T and I sometimes have different tastes in movies. She's really not a fan of violent movies. Although she appreciated Fargo and some other darker Coen Bros. movies. She doesn't like Tarantino movies at all and was completely disturbed by No Country for Old Men. Though I was struck by the humor. I was laughing out loud on multiple occasions and she just sat there with a disturbed look on her face.

I really liked No Country For Old Men. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Thumper wrote:I didn't really think of that. I assume you mean my friend losing his teenage daughter? I suppose it's possible. Mrs. T and I sometimes have different tastes in movies. She's really not a fan of violent movies. Although she appreciated Fargo and some other darker Coen Bros. movies. She doesn't like Tarantino movies at all and was completely disturbed by No Country for Old Men. Though I was struck by the humor. I was laughing out loud on multiple occasions and she just sat there with a disturbed look on her face.

Your friend losing his daughter is exactly what I meant. But after everything else you wrote, I think your wife and I have similar taste in film. :mrgreen:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Yeah.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments